Chapter 3: Adjustment, Arianda, and Alexander

Start from the beginning

They left, and I waited for a few minutes before I entered the Courtyard.

“My father, you called me?” I curtseyed before him, acting as if I had not heard their previous private conversation.

He looked up from the ground and said, “Yes, yes, I would like you, and Princess Arianda to bond with each other. I mean, you will teach her. She, only a girl of five years, must be taught directly from the First Princess herself. I want you to teach her everything you know, I will, of course, allow a teacher, probably Gopere , to guide you both.”

He sipped his steaming tea as I processed these in my mind. I finally replied, “As you wish, father. I will do whatever you say.”

He dismissed me with a wave as I searched for Arianda, with Gopere, my tutor, who showed up just at the right time.

“Help me, Gopere. Let us look for Arianda. The King has commanded the both of us to teach her well.” I told him as we quickened our pace down the empty halls.

She was in the library with her mother, and both seemed surprised when I bowed before them.

Lady Saniera was the first to speak. “Princess Charlotte… you need not bow before us; after all, I am not Queen yet.”

I answered, “But nevertheless, my lady, for I was given orders from the King to do so myself. And I am also bowing to a Princess. I have come here with Gopere to teach her rules and etiquette, that she may now the right ways of royalty and of being a proper princess, if it is all right with you…”

The lady understood and agreed. “Of course, princess. You  may be Arianda’s tutor, along with Gopere. I will leave her in your care, and please do not mind that Oliver can stay and listen as well for the mean time? Please excuse me, I have some important business with the King at this moment.” She smiled and curtseyed, then left the library.

I looked at Arianda. She was an adorable girl, with big blue eyes, and little rose bud lips, very chubby, rosy cheeks, and long brown hair tied into a braid. She was playing with her braid, twirling it in her fingers.

Her brother looked a lot more different from her; he had black hair, dark brown eyes, a pointy nose, and curled lips. He always seemed to scowl, and he rarely smiled or spoke.

They look nothing like their mother, I thought, for Lady Saniera was a woman with a tall stature, had golden hair and electric blue eyes, thick lips, and a very, very sharp nose. Her looks are intimidating, but you never really know, right?

 Anyway, I greeted Arianda and Oliver with a sweet smile. “Hello Arianda, hello Oliver. I hope we will get along fine together. And I will be teaching you, Arianda, the basics of being a princess.”

Arianda looked up at me and nodded her head, and softly said with a tint of playfulness in her childish voice, “Princess Charlotte, it is your will which we shall follow. I will be your student.”

Oliver carelessly went away and took a bunch of manuscripts from the White Shelf to read. He probably selected The Tales of Ropwick. It was a good adventure story.

So for hours, Arianda and I were bonding, besides studying together, despite our age difference.

______________________________

When our time was done, I returned to my room and studied a rock I picked up on the way to Potshire. It was a beautiful stone, with an amber colored texture around it. Engrossed in my work, I was not paying attention when a small pebble was thrown into my balcony. But I did hear the tiny thuds it made, and I went out to see who threw the pebble.

“Princess!” Alexander shouted and waved at me.

I was astounded. First, he popped up at the garden yesterday unknowingly. Now this, at my balcony!

“Shh! Alexander, keep it low and quiet! I’m coming to the garden,” I beseeched.

He gave me a thumbs-up and went on his way to our ‘special’ meeting place.

I rushed down the long flight of stairs in my nightgown and robe, and headed to the garden gates. I was afraid he would have to see me in my sleeping clothes. How embarrassing.

When I reached him, I remarked breathlessly, “Alexander, what are you doing here… again? Is there a problem?”

He let out a tiny contagious laugh when I asked him. He composed himself afterwards.

 “I just wanted to drop by; I was on my way to Norville when I decided to visit. Stay strong tomorrow, princess!” Then he gave me another of his charismatic winks.

I stared at him confused and shook my head in bewilderment.

 “Princess, have you not heard? Lady Saniera is going to be crowned Queen tomorrow after their wedding! Don’t tell me you have forgotten about it!”

I hit my forehead with my palm. “Oh yes! How could I forget that important event? Alexander, do not worry about my soul. I will be fine. I am her daughter’s tutor, by the way.”

He chuckled, “Good luck with her then! See you soon, for now I have to run. We shall meet tomorrow at the ceremony!”

 There  he went again, taking off to nowhere. He comes, then goes. Just like that. Alexander is a very peculiar friend indeed.

Alright, guys. i know, this part's a bit short for a chapter. but i'm taking the steps slowly, so you just have to read on for yourself about the situations, especially alex's and charlotte's blossoming friendship

don't forget to vote/comment!

_________________