Chapter 1: A Different Life

THIS BOOK IS A WORK OF FICTION. NAMES, CHARACTERS, PLACES, AND INCIDENTS ARE THE PRODUCT OF THE AUTHOR'S IMAGINATION OR ARE USED FICTITIOUSLY. ANY RESEMBLANCE TO ACTUAL EVENTS, LOCALES, OR PERSONS, LIVING OR DEAD, IS COINCIDENTAL.

-THE ROYAL INDECISIVE REBEL-

Chapter 1 - A Different Life

 Years ago, when I, Princess Charlotte, was at the age of thirteen, I was a captive in my own home. Boredom nearly drove me to death, and the not-so-good perks of being a princess made my royal drab life only worse. Everyone who wasn't living the same life as I was, that is, a royal life, told me I was lucky. I was given everything I wanted, I had everything I needed, and I could still ask for more, without being judged. This statement from the people who weren't noblemen or royals irritated me, and someday I wished to prove to them that not every detail in the life of a royal is perfect. It was all a complete lie, to make me feel better about myself being in this position. Of course, there came the advantages, but they seem to forget another part, the twin of advantages, more known as, disadvantages. And one of the disadvantages was loneliness, having to deal with no fun or real friends at all.

Well, my only true friend then was my mother, the Queen Clarissa, who wholeheartedly cared for me. I was the only daughter of her and the King Henrick Tintonian III. It was in the year of 1438, when my father was in his twelfth year of his rule over our little country, Hugehston, that something bright came my way. I had never expected for this 'brightness' to change my view on life, as it lit my path that I was going to take. Perhaps my dreams were starting to come true just like I hoped it would one day.

I was up visiting the country's farmlands, where apple orchards, owned by the good old farmer Penwick, were situated in the warm, summer fields of Lawton. Hogging a twelfth of the entire land, this farm was spacious enough for the whole kingdom to have a party together. Indeed, the scent of sweet apples filled the country air, and the cool breeze could sweep you off your feet with a single touch. You would never be disappointed with the sight of the breathtaking orchard. A little to its edge was a warm fresh water lake, and anyone who considered on taking a hot bath was welcomed. Connecting the lake and the farmlands was a river, and it was clean enough for creatures and humans to drink from. A perfect getaway, if you ask me. It was a place that held many precious memories for me, for I had spent my holidays there ever since I was younger.

Hooking my arm with my basket, I said to Freda, my unmarried maidservant and old friend, "Freda, where is my mother?"

Freda questioningly looked at me, and then swiveled her head around, looking for the queen. It took her a while to do this, since she was aging quickly at the age of 36. She has been serving us for quite some time, as long as I can remember.

She then replied shaking her head, "I beg your pardon, Princess, but I really do not know where the Queen is."

I frowned with a little disappointment that she wasn't able to spot my mother, and took off to the nearest shack where the farmers weighed the apples. Sure enough, she was there, weighing a filled basket and handing gold coins over to Penwick. Both were jovially conversing and enjoying each other's company.

I hastily ran to her saying, "My mother! Where have you been? Freda and I have been waiting and searching endlessly for you. And here you are, actually just paying Penwick!"

Penwick laughed boisterously as he heard my words, and covered his mouth as his laughter turned into a coughing fit.

"Learning to be a commander, aren't you, Princess? Demanding to know about your mother's whereabouts, like your father, aye? Definitely like father, like daughter," Penwick verbalized while catching his breath, ruffling my dark brown-bronze hair.