Manipulation

Sherlock looked annoyed. “Call him. He can come here.”
She raised an eyebrow. “Do you really think Mycroft would just drop everything and come here?”
“For you, he might.”
“But then it wouldn’t be a surprise!”
“It’s likely he already knows you’re here.”
She raised her arms. “Then where is he? Please Sherlock, I cover my tracks better than you think.”
Sherlock sighed. “Why do I have to come?”
“Because if I tell him that his sister wants to see him, it’d sort of give away the surprise,” she pointed out. “May as well just call him then.”
Sherlock sighed. “Fine,” he said, irritably, turning around. As he went through the door, he called, “Coming?”
Avery grinned at John. “My brother may be brilliant, but a family man he is not.” She sighed. “I guess that’s what I’m here for.”
John looked at her. “Wait, so you’re Sherlock’s…and Mycroft’s sister?”
Avery nodded. “Yep. That’s how it works.”
John blew out some air. “That’s…tough. God I can’t even imagine it.”
She smiled. “No you couldn't." She shrugged. "It could’ve been worse. At least he’s-” gesturing to the door that Sherlock had just went through, “sorta morally good. And so is Mycroft,” she added as an afterthought. She rolled her eyes and offered him her arm. “Shall we?”
John laughed and took her arm, and they went downstairs to meet, as Sherlock once put it, the man who was the British Government.