Dominic's eyes widened in understanding. "Caroline, I don't need you to be my strategist. I know what I'm doing. If someone were to find out, you could get in a lot of trouble."

"I wanted to help. Since you didn't seem to be doing anything to prepare... I took matters into my own hands. So let me just tell you some of his secrets and-"

"No, Caroline."

My brows furrowed. "What? Why not?"

Dom hopped to his feet, leaning down to kiss my forehead swiftly. "I don't need to know, sugar. I am going to be just fine."

"But-"

"Seriously, sweetheart. We'll be fine."

With that, the Alpha left me sitting on the floor mat alone. He didn't say goodbye or tell me to follow him. 'We'll be fine'? Why would he say such a thing? It may seem like nothing, but his voice and the way he kissed me told me otherwise. Something was cooking in that brain of his and it wasn't good.

The next time I saw Dominic was five minutes before the Challenge began. It was customary that I would see him off from the comfort of the foyer, so there I was. My stomach was in knots as my mate geared up.

Andrew and him were speaking in hushed tones while Alfie and I were shifting form food to foot anxiously. "Why are you nervous?" I asked Alfie.

"Because you're nervous and because something doesn't feel right."

"You feel that too? I thought I was going crazy," I gushed. "Or being paranoid."

Alfie wagged his head, folding his arms over his chest. "No way. Something is going on. Why else would Andrew and Dominic be talking like that?"

Andrew was now being very animated, looking downright outraged, while Dominic was looking calm but stern. "Can't you hear what they're saying, Mr. Werewolf?" I quizzed.

"Nothing that makes any sense."

I huffed loudly, rubbing my temples. The action caught Dominic's attention, who said a final word to his old Beta before approaching me. "How's your head, sugar?"

"I'm okay. You're just making me nervous."

He grinned at me, cupping my face. "Don't be nervous. I know what I have to do and I'm going to do it. Everything will be alright."

"What does that mean?" I asked suspiciously.

Dominic lifted my face and kissed me softly. It was a sad kiss. Not that his kissing skills were sad, because I can tell you from experience that it is definitely not. But he kissed me as if he was sad or saying goodbye.

I grasped his wrists to keep him from walking away. "Dom, what's going on?" I whispered desperately.

"I love you," he murmured sincerely before pushing me off of him, where Andrew caught me and held me in place.

Andrew had a grim look on his face and he wouldn't make eye contact with Alfie or myself. Dominic walked down into the yard, where Jeff was waiting. Both of them were shirtless and only had on workout shorts.

Since Andrew was the mediator, he then pulled away from me to complete his duties. Alfie and I exchanged nervous looks before we all but ran down the steps. "He's going to do something," I claimed.

"But what? I don't get it."

Andrew took his place between Dom and Jeff, glancing between the two of them and the quieting crowd. "This is your last chance to withdraw before the Challenge begins. Jeff?" Jeff shook his head, glaring at my mate. "Dominic?" Dominic gave a curt jerk to signal no. His fists clenched as Jeff said something I couldn't catch, but otherwise he didn't move.