Chapter 14

July 16, 2013 - 11:45 a.m.

Okay, so remember when I had that mini-argument with Cole and I spoke like Dana liked me? It was all hypothetical. I swear. Anna would say this means I have super low self esteem, but it’s probably true. The only way I’d believe that Dana actually likes me is if he says so himself. Blatantly. But then, I’d still think that it’s some sort of sick joke that he’s pulling to try to get a reaction out of me. Because why on earth would a boy like Dana like a girl like me? I’m surprised we’re even friends. He says best friends, and I admit our relationship is like that of best friends, but come on. The day I admit to his face that I like him is the day he burst out laughing about a prank gone right.

So why I agreed to go get frappes one-on-one with Dana this nearly-noontime is a complete mystery and dumb move to me. As we stand in line at the Heaven Cafe in Chicago, I convince myself that I’m only doing this because we’re friends. And because a moment laughing and talking with Dana is a moment in Heaven. Literally.

“Whatcha gonna get?” I ask casually, peering at the chalked-up menu. “There aren’t many options.”

It’s true. Under the “Frappe” category, there are only two choices- mocha and caramel.

He frowns. “Hmm. I think I’ll lean more toward iced coffee today. You?”

“Mocha. I’ve eaten way too many caramel squares the past few days.” Mom mailed Cole and me a carefully-timed package of sweets the other day, and it’s been losing weight exponentially. Unlike me.

We’re now at the front of the line and a hipster barista gives us a bored once-over. “Can I take your order?”

Dana and I start speaking at the same time, so Dana puts his hands up politely. “Ladies first.”

“Mocha frappe,” I smile.

“So mainstream,” the barista mutters under his breath. Maybe because you’ve only got two frappe options, you moron. “And?”

“Iced latte,” Dana says, fishing his wallet out of his bottomless boy pockets. I start to squeeze my five dollar bill out of my ever-shrinking front pocket, but Dana gently puts his hand over mine for a fleeting moment. “I’ll pay.”

I swear my mouth drops slightly open as he hands his money to the barista. I should be refusing his chivalrous act of service, but I’m too distracted by the warm flutterings in my internal organs. Before I know it, he’s walking to find a table and I have to jog to catch up.

“What was that for?”

He glances back at me. “What are friends for?”

I stare at him. Then, the moment is broken to the obnoxious sound of “Everything About You.” Cole set his song as his personal ringtone. My stomach sinks and Dana looks away, pulling out a stool.

I growl and answer the call. “Yes?”

“Where are you?” Cole’s voice filters through the tinny speaker and I can hear city sounds in the background.

“Heaven Cafe with Dana.”

“Great! I’m just down the block. I’ll see you two there. Save me a seat.” Then he hangs up before I can reject his gracious offer.

“What did he want?” Dana questions coolly.

“He says he’ll be here soon.”

“Awesome.” The sarcasm is veiled, but I can tell Dana is secretly still pissed by Cole’s behavior three days ago. They’ve made up now, but I know it’s only superficial.

Just by the idea of Cole coming, our previously frivolous and easy mood turned awkward and tense. We hear an order number called and Dana stands up abruptly. He smiles curtly and quips, “Be right back with our coffee.”

The time it takes him to go there and back isn’t nearly quick enough. By the time he arrives with our drinks, Cole has made himself at home in the third stool at our table.

He folds his hands over the table’s metallic surface and grins, “Hi, Dana. Hey, can you and Ky watch my stuff for a moment? I’m gonna go buy a coffee. Thanks.” He pats us both on the shoulders and heads off.

As soon as he’s out of earshot, I apologize, “I’m so so sorry, Dana. He’s still getting on your nerves, isn’t he?” I don’t mention how Cole is getting on mine as well by intruding on our briefly wonderful moment.

“No, it’s fine,” Dana lies. “He’s one of my best friends; I don’t mind. But maybe after this we can watch Teen Wolf together. Your brother’s not quite as far as I am, so it’ll be hard for him to join us there.”

Cole, the angel he is, decided to return just then. “Teen Wolf?” He asks. “Oh, that’s okay if I’m not caught up. I can watch, too.”

I shoot him daggers. Dana sighs. “The more the merrier.”

“How much did your drink cost, Ky?” Cole barrels on. “Mine was way overpriced.”

“Not quite sure,” I respond impatiently. “Dana paid for mine.”

“A gift from friend to friend,” Dana adds.

Cole pretends to looks shocked. “Oh, no! I can’t let you pay for my sister’s drink! Here, four-fifty. That covers it, right, buddy?”

Dana, who looks as fed up as I feel, plays along. “Yeah. Totally.”

“Cool,” Cole beams. “Oh, my coffee is ready. Catch you later in our room!” He salutes us goodbye and saunters off.

Dana sighs in relief. “I swear,” he exclaims, “We should really ditch him.”

I giggle. “Why? He’s a pain in the neck?”

The look Dana gives me sends shivers down my spine. “No. Because I’d rather spend time with you.”

Oh, shoot. I think I might faint. If fainting was my thing.

All I can do is mumble as the Anna in my head reminds me that my best guy friend is totally in love with me. “Um. Yeah. I would, yes, um, rather spend time with you. Too. Uh. Friend.”

I completely messed that up, didn’t I?

He sends me a strained smile, then stares down at his iced latte. My cheeks heat up like a Bunsen burner and I just want to melt on the spot. Friend? Really, Kylie? Ugh.

I take a deep breath and blurt out before it’s too late, “I mean, yes, Dana. What I really want is to spend time with you. Alone.” Then my speech goes downhill yet again. “By alone, I mean the two of us. And the Teen Wolf characters of course. So not exactly alone. But I guess since they’re not technically real, it still counts as alone…”

He laughs, his smile brightening up the whole cafe even more than the sun filtering in through the windows. My cheeks go from pink to crimson and I bury my face in my arms.

“Thank you, Kylie.”

A/N: What was your favorite part? The hipster barista, cockblock Cole, annoyed Dana, or awkward Kylie? Let me know in the comments!

Also: This chapter is, yet again, dedicated to my sister because she had a really rough day today and I just want her to know that I'm there for her. Love you <3

I'll be dedicating the rest of the chapters to you lovely readers from now on, though. Have a wonderful day/night!