Chapter 13

July 12, 2013 - 3:20 p.m.

I tag along behind Cole as he makes his way to the dressing room. "Cole," I whine. "Cole...."

He turns around the next hall, seemingly oblivious. But I see his muscles tensing and his deliberate attempts to only look forward. They're all signs of obvious annoyance and pretending I don't exist. Cole may have moved to L.A. and joined a boy band, but I have lived with him for most of my life. I still know his tricks and habits.

We make it to the second room in the hall when my incessant calls make him give up. He whirls around and shoots a death glare at me. "The fuck do you want?"

I lift the corners of my skirt and perform a small curtsy while grinning angelically. "Thank you for your attention. How do you even hear your alarm in the morning?" He doesn't say anything. "Hm. But, actually, Cole, I wanted to ask you a question." My voice drops its bounce and turns serious.

He frowns. "What?" I detect a hint of worry in his voice.

"Actually, it was Anna that made me start thinking about it in the first place... Not that I wasn't already thinking about it. But she made it seem actually possible, if not probable, and I figured that since you have a girlfriend and all-" I babble. Now that I actually have to ask Cole the question I had in mind, I'm scared and I just really can't bring myself to ask it.

"What is it?"

"You will answer this honestly, right? Because you love me so so much? Or maybe not," I start retreating. "Because you're like really overprotective when it comes to boys and me so maybe I shouldn't really-"

"Boys?" There's suspicion in his voice. Now I know I've caught his attention. "Does this have something to do with D-"

"Yes!" I admit hastily. "Don't say it. Or do." I stomp my foot exasperatedly. "That would make it easier for me, so I don't have to ask the question."

The corners of his lips twitch upward devilishly. "Oh, Ky. Now I have to hear you say it." My eyes widen. "Go on." To pronounce his point, he waves me on with his hand, clearly enjoying my misery.

I gulp and wiggle my flipflop-clad foot. I take a deep breath, closing my eyes for an instant. Upon opening them, I count to three in my head. One. Two. Three. "Does Dana like me?"

He laughs, clearly expecting it, and ruffles my hair, which I had spent nearly half an hour this morning styling. Ugh. "Bravo. You wish he does, don't you?"

My face falls. "Does that mean?"

His expression turns grim. "No. Yes. It means I'm gonna punch Dana. And that he and I are no longer friends."

"Why? For not liking me?"

"No. For liking you. For wanting to make a move on my sister." And then he stalks off.

July 13, 2013 - 8:45 p.m.

"I asked Cole if Dana likes me," I blurt.

Anna's eyes widen in horror. "You what?"

"I-"

"I know. Ky, you're an absolute idiot. Oh my god. Ky."

"I thought-"

"I don't care what you thought. You do not ask your overprotective brother if one of his best friends likes you." She takes a moment to let my stupidity sink in. "Okay. How did he react?"

"He said he was gonna punch Dana and they would no longer be friends."

"Did he?"

"Punch Dana?" I finish. "No. But he got really pissy with Dana."