Chapter 8

June 28th, 2013 -  3 pm

It’s our last day in California, and for that, I’m kind of sad. Yesterday, we had a blast at the concert and today, we get some free time before our next flight.

“Where are we going?” I ask, bouncing down the sidewalk. I’m trying to catch up to Cole. We’ve been walking down this street in San Francisco for God knows how long, and nobody will tell me where we’re going. As far as I can tell, only Cole, the band’s manager, and our guide know where we’re headed.

“Shhh,” he replies, thrusting his hand into my face. “You’re fucking annoying.”

I stick out my tongue, making him jerk away. “I am not. How come only you know where we’re going?”

“Who says I do?”

“You did.”

“I don’t, okay?” He exclaims in exasperation. “I lied.”

“You’re mean,” I say. “You owe me a piggyback ride.”

“No!” He scoffs. “Not happening.” He runs ahead to join Gabe and Will in their discussion about something absolutely insipid. I pout and decide to join Dana and Dalton. At least they’re laughing. That must mean they’re talking about something interesting.

As I get close to them, Dana seems to spot me out of the corner of his eye. He hooks his arm around my neck and gently pulls me closer. I want to say something about it, but he and Dalton look completely immersed in their conversation. Then, Dana moves his arm to let it rest around my shoulders.

I gaze at his face. He’s laughing and grinning with his teeth perfectly white and his expression completely content. I have to admit, Dana Vaughns is attractive, in a cute and adorable way. But then I mentally scold myself. He’s just my friend, albeit a very good one by now. Besides, it’s not like I have a chance. Or like Cole would ever allow any of his bandmates to so much as hug me.

I lean in to Dana and he glances at me. “What about you?”

My eyes widen in surprise. “What?”

Dalton snickers. “We were talking about TV shows we like. I heard you fell asleep on him last night when you watched Teen Wolf together.”

My cheeks redden. “I did?”

Dana laughs. “Oh, yeah. As soon as Cole saw you were asleep, he kicked me out of the room. He had to lift you up and pull your covers over you!”

Oh. So that’s why I woke up still fully clothed. “You’re making fun of me!” I accuse. “Remind me to never do that again.”

Dalton chuckles at Dana. “That’s okay, Dana thought it was cute.”

Dana’s eyes widen and he looks just as embarrassed as I was a few minutes earlier. I shake my head. “Don’t let Cole hear you say that.”

Dalton looks like that was the funniest thing he’d ever heard. He claps Dana’s back and jogs off to join my brother.”

I look at Dana in confusion. “Uh?”

He looks away. “It’s just Dalton.”

I nod, unconvinced. “Okay.”

“We’re here!” yells the manager. I glance ahead. All I see is grass and a sign that reads “Golden Gate Park.” The park is huge. It stretches on for farther than I can see. Who knew such beautiful vegetation lies in the middle of a foggy city?

“Woah,” I breathe. “I could cartwheel.”

Dana nods. “I could backflip.” Then he looks enlightened. He drops his arm from my shoulders and races onto the grass. “Ayy! Watch this!” He yells to no one in particular. Once he has all eyes on him, he jumps into the air and flips backward gracefully. When his feet hit the green again, he runs a few steps and propels himself into an aerial.

I laugh, thinking back to Anna’s cheer routines. Sometimes, when I had free time, I would stop by Anna’s cheer competitions or the school football games. She could totally one-up Dana. Unfortunately, I’m not Anna, so all I can do is a sloppy cartwheel. The most embarrassing part is, Cole is five hundred percent better than me in all things dance and tumble-related. All I can do is soccer.

When see the guide pull a soccer ball out of his bag, I know what I have to do. I sprint to the bouncing ball and trap the ball between my feet. I dribble it for a bit, then kick it up and balance it on my head before letting it drop to my knees. I kick it around like a hacky sack, concentrating on the perfect balance and speed. Finally, I let it bounce back to the ground.

Cole is smirking. “Is that a challenge?” He asks haughtily. Despite his dance and musical skills, Cole is also adept at soccer. Of course, it would be a lie to say I’m not better.

I blow my hair out of my face. “Yes, I do believe that is a challenge.”

Cole cracks his knuckles, making the corners of my lips curl up. “Challenge accepted, lil’ sis.”

I grin. “Cool. Who’s on my team?”

“Me!” Dana hollers. He raises his hand about as high up as it can go as he jogs over to me.”

Cole pretends to look crestfallen. “Really, man? Straight through the heart.” He turns around to look pleadingly at the remaining three boys. “Gabe!”

Gabe throws up his hands, but joins my brother anyway. “Man, I really hope you’re not expecting to win.”

“Hurtful,” Cole answers.

Dalton and Will rock-paper-scissor. After several rounds of fist shaking, Will pouts and walks to Cole. Dalton groans and saunters lazily over to me.

“Does that mean you don’t wanna be on my team?” I ask.

He shakes his head. “Nope. Means I don’t wanna exercise.”

I look over to Will and notice that both he and Gabe seem to be thinking the same thing. I shrug. “Last day in California. Let’s make the most of it.” I point to a small grove of trees to one side. “That’s our goal,” I announce to everyone. I look pointedly at Dana and Dalton. “Don’t kick the ball in there.”

Cole points to a bush at the other side. “And that’s ours.”

We space out and Cole and I stand around the ball in the center. Gabe yells the counts and I easily take the ball on “Go!” I dribble it down the grass and make it to the goal before anyone even reacts.

“That’s unfair!” Will calls out. “Kylie should be on her own team.”

I smirk and balance my foot on the ball. “Sore loser? That’s okay. Let’s play five against one.”

So we do. It proves to be more challenging and fun, but in the end, I still win. It’s a great end to our few days in California.