Chapter 4

June 19th, 2013 - 6pm

"Don't you love L.A?" I ask as I skip down the sidewalk.

Dana walks quickly to catch up. "Yeah, every time I come here, it amazes me again," he agrees. "Where are we going?"

I shrug. "Dunno." A bright sign catches my eye and I gasp, running in that direction. "Ooh!"

Dana groans and chases after me. I slide into a stylish clothing shop and start browsing the racks. He looks completely uncomfortable as other shoppers give him uninterested looks.

"Really?" He complains. "Clothes?"

"Yup," I reply as I examine a crop top. "You offered to come, so you get to deal with me."

I think about buying the shirt, but one look at the price tag makes me put it back.

"Let's get ice cream," I suggest. "It's warm and I'm hungry."

He nods, throwing his hands in the air. "Finally, something I can agree with!"

We walk over to the creamery across the street, neither of us saying another word. The term, awkward,  comes to mind, but I shake it off. If you say it's awkward, Kylie, it will be awkward.

When we get there, I order a triple scoop of bubblegum, cookies and cream, and cherry. Dana gets two scoops of dark chocolate and mint chip. We sit down at a small table outside the shop.

“How is it?” I ask, taking a bite out of my scoop of bubblegum.

He smiles. “Delicious. Are you sure you can finish yours?”

“Nope,” I reply, popping the p.

“Kinda a waste of ice cream, then,” he says.

I grin sheepishly. “Hey, we’re in LA. Extra ice cream isn’t really what I’m worried about.”

“Then what is?”

I give him a secretive look. “That’s for me to know and you to find out.”

He rolls his eyes. "Sure. I will find out, though," he promises.

"Yeah, right."

We wrap up eating ice cream. (He's finished, but I'm still struggling with the melting remains of mine.)

"Where to?" Dana asks, sweeping his arm out and bowing.

"What are you, some sort of chivalrous knight?"

"Maybe."

"Well, you're a poor excuse of one," I tease.

"Hey!" He feigns hurt.

"Let's check out the music shop. I heard there are a bunch of new albums out."

"Better than Forever 31," he agrees.

"21."

"Nope."

"Whatever! Leggo!" I grab his shoulders and steer him down the street.

"I can walk," he protests. "I know where we're going... You don't need to push me." When I don't remove my hands, he wriggles out of my grasp. "Cole was right. You are annoying."

"Hey! You offend me, Sir Supposedly-Chivalrous Knight."

"Miss Priss."

"Captain Two Scoop."

"Queen Sugar High."

I blush at the embarrassing memory of being hyped up on sugar and caffiene. Before I can think of another comeback, two girls whom look about Cole's age come rushing up to us.

"Oh my god, are you Dana Vaughns?" the blonde squeals.

Dana grins. "That's me. You're fans?"

They nod. "Yes. Totally. Your music is amazing... and you're all hot," the brunette adds sheepishly. She turns to stare at me. "Hey, you look familiar!"

My cheeks redden and I'm at a loss for words. There you go again, Kylie, getting shy around strangers, I lecture myself. Luckily, the blonde speaks for me. "Aren't you Cole's sister? Umm... Kylie, right?"

I nod, relieved and slightly amazed that they know who I am. "Yeah, uh, I'm Kylie. That's me."

I mentally slap myself for sounding so awkward and Dana notices. He laughs. "So, girls?" He asks.

"Britney," the brunette chirps to both of us.

"I'm Leslie," the blonde says. "And Kylie, you're a lot prettier in person!"

I blush. "Um, thank you. You two are much more gorgeous, though."

They grin. Dana clears his throat. "Um. So, Britney, Leslie, do you want a picture or autograph or something?"

"Yeah!" They squeal.

"I'll take the picture," I offer meekly.

Britney looks aghast. "No! You need to be in it!"

Leslie agrees. "Yeah, we'll just ask someone to take the picture for us." She flags down a middle-aged woman passing by. "Excuse me? Will you take a picture of us, please?"

The woman plasters on a smile. "Oh yes, sure!"

The girls wrap their arms around Dana. I stand off to the side a bit, but then Leslie grabs me and pulls me into the group. The lady snaps a few pictures with both Leslie's and Britney's phones before handing them back to the girls.

"Thank you!" Leslie chirps. "Have a nice day!"

"You too!" The lady replies and walks away.

Leslie and Britney look at the pictures and beam.

"One question before we stop bugging you," Britney says. "Are you two dating?"

"Yeah, we don't want any false rumors going around or anything," Leslie adds. "So?"

Dana and I look at each other and scoff. "No!" We both exclaim.

"Nope. Not at all," I say. "Just friends."

"If that," Dana retorts.

I glare at him and punch his arm. "Hey! I'm nice; you're the rude one."

He lifts his hands in surrender. "I never said-"

The girls giggle and give us both hugs. "Thank you guys so much for the pictures!"

Dana smiles at them. I pout. "No, thank you!" He says. "You should come o our concert!"

"Oh we will," Leslie assures us. "See you there!"

"Bye!" Dana and I call after them as they turn and skip off. We can hear them squealing and we just chuckle.

"So," I start.

"I'm not rude!"

"And I'm not annoying." I reply.

"Fine. Agree to disagree?" He holds out his hand to shake.

I hesitate. "Nope!" I rush off toward the music store. I hear Dana curse as he runs to catch up.

--

Two more votes if you want the next chapter! <3