Faith

Shadow

I spent Saturday doing research on Preston and Griffen. The official documents for this city were surprisingly easy to get into. I only needed basic knowledge on hacking in order to get past their firewall and access information on pretty much everyone in town. Sam would be proud. As if he knew I was thinking about him, I picked up my phone when it buzzed.

"What's your status?" I asked.

"Well this job is definitely interesting," he sighed.

"I'm aware. How challenging is it?"

"I'm hacking into the pentagon S. It's pretty fucking challenging." I snorted, clicking onto a different file on my computer.

"You're good at technical shit Sam. You can do it." I squinted at the screen, leaning in closer as I tried to figure out what the hell this small ass document said.

"You have faith in me?" He asked.

"I have faith in the fact that you're smart enough to do it and not get caught."

"So you have faith in me?"

"I have faith in your capabilities," I sighed. He groaned and I could just imagine him slamming his palm into his forehead. He always did it when he was frustrated.

"You have faith in me you bitch, you just won't admit it." I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Do you need anything else?" I asked.

"No, I was just calling to tell you it would be another day or two until I come back."

"I already knew that. It's the pentagon. I didn't think you'd be back until Tuesday at the latest."

"It shouldn't be that long. Maybe Monday night at the latest."

"So I was basically right," I whispered, "as always."

I flinched at his bark of a laugh. "Ah, she is hot headed."

"That I am. Alright, I have to go. I need to finish combing through these articles and finding out what I can."

"How'd you get access to the documents? You kill someone?"

"Hacked."

There was silence for a few seconds. "YOU HACKED INTO SOMETHING?!" He shouted. I glared at the phone.

"I am capable of basic hacking you fucking moron. I went to TA. I know how to do a little bit of this shit."

"And yet you can't do half of what I do."

"That's because I specialized in killing. You specialized in computers. I can't do what you do, and you can't do what I do."

"That is very much a true statement."

"Bet your ass it is. I'm hanging up now." I tossed the phone to the side as I went back to scanning documents. This one was about a man named Stephan Kellin, someone I had no interest in. I went up to the search board and typed in Preston and Griffen's name.

375 documents.

I slouched back, staring at the screen.

This was going to be one long night.

***

Olivia trudged into the kitchen wrapped in a fluffy silver robe. Her hair was on top of her head and there were dark circles under her eyes.

"What died and crawled up your ass?" My nose scrunched up.

She glared at me, "My boyfriend dumped me last night."