I Don't Do Friends

Shadow

I slammed the car door closed, lazily walking into the apartment building and up to our apartment. Opening the door, the smell of baking cookies greeted me.

"Shadow? Is that you?" I rolled my eyes, closing the door and tossing my keys into the bowl next to it. No matter how many times I told her, she always called me Shadow. I walked towards the kitchen.

"Nope. It's Mary freakin Poppins." I leaned against the doorway, watching as Olivia, Sam and I's foster mom, ran around cooking all sorts of things.

"Why are you cooking?"

She looked over to me. "I'm upset. I cook when I'm upset."

"I know that," I rolled my eyes, "why are you upset?"

She scoffed. "Like you actually care," she muttered.

"True." I pushed off the doorway and started down the hallway.

"You're an asshole!" Olivia called out.

"Tell me something I don't know," I yelled back.

I slammed my door closed and took off my shirt. Standing in front of the full body mirror, I assessed the damage Agent 76 and her goons had done. They had abandoned their guns almost immediately and pulled out large daggers to fight with. Stupid move on their part, granted I understood why they did it. It was against Academy rules to use guns in a fight which, again, was a stupid move.

I cleaned up my wounds, minor compared to what I had done to them, and dressed in a hoodie and some yoga pants. My phone started ringing.

"You done yet?" I greeted.

"Well hello to you too sunshine." I could practically feel Sam rolling his eyes.

"Are you done?" I asked again.

"Yes S, I've taken the bodies and burned them. I'll be at the apartment in a few minutes."

I hung up on him, going to his room and grabbing his laptop. As I went to the living room and started hooking the laptop up to the television, Olivia walked in with bowls of mac and cheese.

"I made you and Sam dinner."

"Mac and cheese? What happened to all the other food you were cooking?" My eyes quickly scanned the lines of code, stopping it and typing new ones in so I could get in. One of Sam's precautions. You couldn't get into his damned computer unless you knew how to correct the code lines. Can't do that then all you saw was a freaking clown doing a jig on the home screen.

"I let it burn." I glanced back at her and nodded, gesturing for her to put it on the coffee table as I finally got into the computer. I projected it to the television screen, making sure I had gotten everything correct before grabbing a notebook and pen and sitting down on the couch. I grabbed the food Olivia had brought in. She crossed her arms over her chest. We stared at each other.

"Well?" Her chest puffed out expectantly.

"What?" I wrote my identification on the left hand corner of the paper, an old habit brought across by the Academy that I never could seem to shake.

"What do you say to me?"

I stared. "Anything I want? We talk all the time, Olivia. Is there a certain phrase I say that you want me to speak at the moment?" I tilted my head to the side. I didn't understand what she wanted.

She rolled her eyes. "For the food Shadow. What do you say to me about the food?"

I looked down at it. "Good job...cooking?" My eyebrows came down as I squinted at the food in confusion.