Chapter Twenty-Nine

"There is danger here. There is danger here where there was no danger before. Not even the child's parents had thought of such a thing as this but it is true and must be considered." Aro turned to his group. It was so tempting to run there and just rip the head off his shoulders. But I knew I wouldn't get there in time. I would be killed and I would start a war. And I had to protect Renesmee.

"We shall need to counsel." Caius said. His happy and eager face made my stomach turn inside out. I didn't want to watch this anymore. Caius and Aro moved backwards into the folds of their guard. They held hands with another black cloak, Marcus. This was the three main leaders of the whole group. This was the counsel. However, suddenly everyone had turned to face behind our group. Was this a surprise attack from behind? How could Edward not have foreseen that?! But when I looked, I saw that it was a whole group of vampires were standing in one huge spread out group. Vampires. They were not cloaked but they were there. I recognised Alice, Rosalie, Jasper and Emmett in the front and centre. I recognised vampires from seven years ago, all ready for a fight. Aro, Caius and Marcus looked up. Aro's eyes were gleaming with delight when he saw Alice. The new group of vampires walked forwards and stood in formation with us. I could feel a change of atmosphere. We were no longer dreading this battle but looking forward to it. The end of all of this. Then finally we could live in peace.

Aro, Caius and Marcus had gone back to counsel. They were ignoring us.

"My God..." Edward whispered. I turned to look at him. He was horrified.

"Edward?" Carlisle murmured.

"What?" Bella asked, quietly.

Before Edward even had time to speak, Aro let go of the hands of the other leaders and turned to face us.

"We have someone of yours. We believe this person has knowledge of the shape-shifter world and is therefore also a liability." Aro made a gesture and there was a pathway formed in the group of Volturi guards. Two guards were dragging a body through the pathway and threw the form on the floor. I recognized Charlie Swan. Bella's Dad.

"NO!" Bella screamed.

"Grampa!" Renesmee sobbed. Nessie ran, Bella ran. Seth caught Renesmee and Bella was halfway to her father. A vampire from the Volturi was in her way. Demetri, the tracker vampire. They were fighting. Edward looked at me. I nodded and Edward ran to join Bella. Vampires were running past us now. The fight had started.

KILL THE BASTARDS! Leah screamed in her head. Sam growled and the packs were running past us too.

Seth still had a sobbing Renesmee in his arms. He plucked her up from off the floor and put her on my back. Nessie's fingers weaved through my fur.

"Charlie..." She sobbed.

"No time now, Nessie. Come on." Seth held out the backpack and Renesmee put her arms through. Suddenly Edward was there, Charlie in his arms. Seth backed away a few paces and phased. He landed on four paws.

"Can you keep him there, Seth?"

I will.

Edward laid Charlie down on Seth's back. Seth was tall enough and strong enough that Charlie was safe on top.

Would be easier if we had rope...

Edward tore open the backpack and took out a rope. His hands took only seconds to tie Charlie to Seth safely and securely. Around us, the fight was continuing. I didn't know who was winning but I could only pray.

"Go. Now. Hurry."

Please be safe, Edward. Please. I begged him. Edward nodded once and kissed Renesmee, shakily.

"Dad..." She sobbed.

"I love you." He told her. I looked at Seth.

Let's go! We ran into the trees.