Chapter Thirty-Five

Edward and I sat on the beach. The waves of the water lapped at our feet. The sun was setting and the sky was streaked with pinks and oranges again. It reflected on the water, making it so beautiful. Renesmee and Bella were swimming in the depths, splashing each other and laughing together.

"She makes you happy." Edward wasn't looking at me as he spoke to me.

"Of course."

"And you make her happy."

"You know that better than I do." My mouth pulled up at one corner into a slight smile. Edward was smiling too.

"That's true. But I wanted to know something."

"Sure?" Edward hesitated before speaking again.

"Have you considered proposing to her?" I felt my eyes widen and my mouth dropped. Of all people to discuss marriage to Renesmee with... I would never have imagined Edward would. He treasured the time he had with Renesmee as if I was to take her away the second I showed her how much I loved her. It wasn't true; I liked living with the Cullens despite the awful icy smell.

I HAD considered marrying Renesmee but I refused to do so just yet. And there was no point in lying to the mind reader.

"Yes... I did."

"So what stopped you?" I dug my fingers into the wet sand by my side, digging and digging into the gritty bits.

"Renesmee started at Dartmouth and so I decided I could wait until she finished college. She seemed happy during that first semester of college so I wanted to stay with my plan." Edward looked at me. I continued digging but it was only when we hadn't spoken for a few minutes that I looked back at him. His gaze was searching.

"You really mean that don't you?" I smiled.

"Yes, I do."

"I'm glad she has you, Jake. I really am. She couldn't have done any better." We both looked out towards the sun set where our destinies lay swimming before us.