Chapter Eight

The moon was a mere crescent in the pitch-black sky, twinkling stars winking at them overhead. Wispy clouds covered over the moon, a gentle nighttime breeze ruffling through Gavin's hair.

He held the hand of his mother, a tall woman with wavy brown hair. Gavin's half-brother, Elijah Kamski, was over on her other side. The three walked down the sidewalk, happily chattering away.

Everybody except for Gavin.

"So far, I've built little toys that move when I command them too!" Kamski boasted proudly, raising his chin up high. "One day, I'm going to make these little machines into something much more greater. It will change how society is run!"

"After society is changed, then will you be able to hang out with me?" Gavin whined. He wanted to get closer to his half-brother, he didn't have any other siblings. They were close once, but as they grew up they drifted apart. Especially when Kamski started designing little machines.

"Maybe." That was Kamski's reply to everything.

Gavin pouted turned away as Kamski burst into another conversation about his little plastic toys that can move and talk on their own. He always had to deal with him bragging about his abilities. Gavin was the disappointment.

He just wanted someone to appreciate him for once. He didn't want to be compared to his half-brother or anybody else. Gavin wanted to be his own person, not someone hiding in the shadow of somebody else.

They continued down the sidewalk, Gavin watching the cars zoom by on the street. It was dark, it was really dark. Gavin wasn't scared though, their house was just right around the block.

They were about to turn the corner and enter the neighborhood when there was a deafening bang coming from behind him, Mother making a choke-like gasping noise as she fell onto the concrete sidewalk. A clean circle was shot through her back, puncturing a hole in her left lung. Gavin screamed. Kamski ran.

You know what, fuck you too.

Gavin kneeled down next to his mother, watching helplessly as blood cascaded down from her wound and staining the sidewalk crimson. Her face was contorted from the agony. Heavy tears ran down Gavin's cheeks as he held her hand, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Mom.." He choked. "Wh.. why-"

"Get the lil' dipshit." A drunken voice slurred. Gavin raised his head to see a trio of three men approaching them, one holding a gun. He screamed, only to be silenced by a hand slapping over his mouth. One of the men dragged Gavin behind a clump of thick bushes, pulling him away from his bleeding mother. Gavin squirmed, trying to release himself but to no avail.

The man holding him tightly flicked out a pocket knife. Gavin trembled, his heart racing as if it was running a marathon. He then bit into the man's hand, sinking in so hard that he actually drew blood. The man swore loudly, the blade of the knife cutting across Gavin's nose. While his attacker was distracted, Gavin sprinted away. Vermillion blood from the cut on his nose leaked down, the tangy, metallic taste strong in his mouth. He didn't look twice over his shoulder at his mother who laid bleeding and dying on the sidewalk.

Gavin promised himself to become an officer when he grew up, so people would feel safety while being around. Nobody should be feeling as terrified of being alone as Gavin then.