Chapter Five

Snow was piling up on the ground, the water frozen over in the Zen Garden, the usually vibrant trees bare of leaves. Their branches clattered in the wind as snow swirled around Conan. The android strolled through the garden, following the built paths that led to a certain place he was searching for. Curiosity had gotten the best of him.

Soon he came across a more secluded area in the garden, two headstones in the ground. He kneeled down, examining the letters engraved into the first gravestone for his predecessor.

Conan - Mark (1)
RK900 #313 248 317 - 87
Died at DPD Station, Detroit
December 08th, 2038

Another headstone was next to the first, having similar words.

Conan - Mark (2)
RK900 #313 248 317 - 88
Died at Detroit Bank, Detroit
December 09th, 2038

He frowned slightly, standing back up. With a final glance at the two graves, he moved away from them and closed his eyes, his LED flashing as he proceeded to leave the mental Zen Garden.

"Hello, Detective Reed. Unfortunately, my predecessor's model has been destroyed. I am the new model that will be replacing it."

"Fan-fucking-tastic," Gavin brushed past the android quite roughly, moving over to his desk. Conan tilted his head in confusion before going to take a seat at his own assigned desk.

"I do sincerely apologize if my previous' system shutdown yesterday had caused an inconvenience." Conan continued on. It was difficult to say if he was being genuine or not, his voice was as emotionless and monotone as ever.

"Yeah yeah, whatever.." Gavin mumbled, waving a hand at Conan dismissively. "Just shut up and get me a coffee, dipshit."

Conan nodded curtly, going over to the break room to brew a cup of coffee. Gavin watched the android leave, sighing. He was never going to get used to the fact that the android was basically fucking immortal, nor the fact that it was actually listening to him.

He leaned back into the chair, putting his hands behind his head as he stared up at the ceiling absentmindedly. The entire station was deserted, everyone was either away on some investigation or on their weekend break. Conan and Gavin were the only ones at the station, besides from the maintenance androids. Conan soon returned with his requested beverage, placing it on Gavin's desk.

"You're welcome, Detective." Conan didn't bother waiting for Gavin to thank him and sat back down, turning to face the computer.

Gavin took one sip from the cup and nearly spat it out. "It's hella bitter!"

"Just like you."

"Oh ha ha, very funny."

"I know. Humor was obviously implemented in my program."

Gavin gave Conan the finger, turning away from him. His eyelids felt heavy, he couldn't think nor see straight. Truth be told, he didn't get a good sleep last night. He had stayed up the majority of the night thinking about Conan and how he was so calm and content while dying in his arms. Of course, he wasn't going to admit that though.

"Have we learned anything else about the robbery yesterday?" Conan asked.

Gavin had his head down and muttered, "Check the files."