Chapter Four

Fuck.

As soon as Gavin entered the precinct, he knew it was back. The plastic prick was sitting at the desk Gavin had reluctantly assigned him, which unfortunately had to be right in front of his. The android was typing away at the computer intently, his gaze fixed on the computer screen. He didn't look away from the screen when Gavin went over to his desk and sat down.

It was strange to see Conan back. He looked perfectly new, as if he hadn't just got a bullet to the head yesterday. After two minutes of awkward silence, Gavin cleared his throat.

"Hey, tin can."

"Hello, Detective Reed." Conan replied, not turning away. His fingers sped across the keyboard, the sound of keys clicking softly filling the air.

"What are you doing?"

"While waiting for your arrival to the station, I have been informed that the man yesterday had shot himself dead. They had preserved the body. I analyzed the man's tattoos and found out that he had most definitely belonged to a gang called 'Crimson Thirium'. Conducting further research, it appears that the gang he had been part of is currently being led by someone under the alias of 'The Red Hand'. I was registering the information into a digital file."

Gavin was only subconsciously listening to Conan speak. There was something strange about the way Conan spoke, he noticed. Usually, he would speak in a somewhat sarcastic and cold manner. Right now, there was absolutely nothing in his tone. It was deprived of anything that made him sound like him, besides from his voice obviously. He seemed to sound more.. robotic.

Perhaps this has something to do with his death? Gavin wasn't sure, but he definitely wasn't going to ask Conan about it. He didn't want to appear interested in the android in any way.

"Detective?" Conan's voice broke through Gavin's thoughts. "Were you paying attention at all while I was talking at all?"

"What- yes!" Gavin snapped. "Don't question me and make sure I'm listening to you as if this is a classroom, dipshit. Now, go make me a coffee."

Conan turned to look at Gavin for the first time that day. Seconds passed before the android nodded, standing up and walking over to the break room to fulfill Gavin's request obediently.

There was something definitely wrong here. If Gavin had ordered Conan do something that he would be perfectly able to do on his own, he would tell Gavin to do it himself. Now, Conan was just submissively following instructions. It was strange, but Gavin wasn't complaining. Perhaps the android finally decided to do what it was designed to do: follow orders.

Soon, Conan returned with a steaming hot cup of coffee. He went over to Gavin's desk, holding it out to him. Gavin slowly took the coffee, taking a sip. He mumbled something that Conan didn't catch while the android went to sit back down at his desk.

Ten minutes of silence passed, Conan going back on the computer while Gavin sorting out papers on his desk. Gavin also hopped onto his computer, realizing that he got a new email. Opening it up, he briefly skimmed the page.

"Jesus Christ.."

Conan glanced away from the computer screen, looking over at Gavin. "What is it, Detective?"

"Three androids were just shot and killed at a bank along with two other humans. There were three shooters." Gavin reported out. "It must've been a bank robbery."