8

~

FEBRUARY

FEBRUARY

~

Bailey leant onto the table beside Jeff as she finished her homework for english, Clay across from them helping the boy with his history work. His arm was wrapped around the back of her chair, his finger tips occasionally brushing over her shoulder blades as he spoke animatedly to Clay. She peeked over her shoulder at Tony as he clear his throat, motioning to the arm behind her. She shook her head and turned away, her eyes scanning over her page.

'Well? Complete sentences, right?' Jeff suggested.

'Yeah, totally,' Clay nodded.

'I even used a semicolon.'

'I saw that. Mad props...  I'm just saying. Paragraph structure's good. Might need some fact-checking.'

'Seriously? I Googled everything.'

Bailey chuckled at that, looking up at the boy with a cocked brow and a smirk.

'Well, the Founding Fathers did grow and use hemp, but it wasn't weed, exactly,' Clay explained.

'Those are different?' Jeff asked.

'Yeah. Yeah, so James Madison probably wasn't a mad stoner, or, uh, at least not from the hemp. But it's a good start. I marked a few other facts to recheck.'

'Sometimes actual books are more reliable for this kinda stuff,' Bailey suggested.

'Right, right. Good point. I'll get right on it,' Jeff nodded.

The boy flicked open his paper and began to fix the corrections Clay had pointed out to him, Bailey letting her book fall shut as she flicked it over. She placed her hands behind her head as she leant back over the seat, sticking her tongue out at Tony after watching him shake a fist in front of him out of frustration.

'He's really serious about the zine,' Clay spoke to her best friend.

'He's serious about the zine, his shoes, and not much else,' Tony nodded.

The Matthews girl sat back up in her chair properly, cocking an eyebrow at the sight of Clay hiding something in his arms as he drew on it.

'What are you working on, Clay?' She asked.

'Oh, nothing. It's nothing,' Clay shook his head.

'Dollar Valentine survey?' Jeff suggested before reaching for the pink paper.

'No, no, no, no, no. You really don't have to-'

'Dude, relax.'

Jeff ran his eyes over the boy's answers, Bailey leaning across to grab a look as well.

'Okay. How do I spend my Saturday nights? You answered, video games,' Jeff read aloud; 'Favourite kind of music, obscure indie bands. Favourite reading materials, fantasy and sci-fi? Dude, why not just say you watch Lord of the Rings on repeat.'