Chapter Thirty-Seven

Monday

Lake City, LA

“I’m going to ask you some questions,” Red Wolf said, staring at Amir in the rearview mirror. “If you choose not to answer, my colleague here is going to hurt you.”

Anvil Head brandished a nasty-looking taser.

“We’ll do this dance until we get the information we need or until you’re incapacitated,” Red Wolf said. “Understand?”

“Fuck you,” Amir replied with resolve.

Red Wolf nodded slightly. Anvil Head jabbed the taser at Amir’s right shoulder.

Amir lost control of his muscles and writhed in the backseat like an epileptic.

“That’s enough,” Red Wolf commanded. Anvil Head withdrew the taser.

Amir’s heart galloped in his chest. He swallowed the glob of saliva in his mouth. He’d nearly pissed his pants and his thoughts were scrambled like eggs.

“I don’t know why people always insist on doing this the hard way,” Red Wolf said. “Hopefully we have your attention now. Let’s get to my first question. Which bank did you put the money in?”

Only Amir and Lincoln knew the location of the ransom money, but Amir knew it was only a matter of time before they broke him. He needed the kind of help he could only get from one place. Closing his eyes, he breathed deeply. Then he started chanting the prayer his father taught him.

Red Wolf ordered Anvil Head to shock him again, but their words came from far away. Amir could barely hear them over the drums…