one

EDEN-JADE THURLOW

I'd always had a love for a challenge, a lust for something to keep me entertained. This trait obviously screams trouble, which is what I seemed to be associated with here at EastField.

It was the first day back at school, and it was my final year. I already walked the halls with an angry look planted across my face, my fists curled up into balls. Everyone watched in fear, many people whispering, trying to avoid meeting my green eyes, which were known for it's deadly gaze.

I wasn't a horrible person. Not at all, actually.
I wasn't a bully, nor did I deliberately try to make people want to hide when they saw me.

It just came with the name.

The surname Thurlow, had it's stories in our small town.

Maybe it was also because of my attitude, or my short temper. Never mind, it definitely was because of the both of them, too.

I tried to stop the smug smile appearing on my face when I reached the familiar group of muscular guys, all of them wearing their varsity jackets. As soon as they saw me they turned slightly, giving me the perfect view of the redhead that had gained all of the girls hearts, here at EastField.

" Eden-Jade Thurlow... " He began, a smirk forming on his plump pink lips, as his brown eyes quickly met with my own.
" Long time no see, buddy " The boy added, before pulling me into his arms, nearly crushing me in one of his warm hugs.
I laughed loudly as the boy pulled away, looking down at me, considering the large height difference between us.
" It's been a damn month, Luke "

Luke Williams, star football player, most popular boy in school, all of the girls dream guy, and one of the very few people I can actually tolerate. And also, probably one of the few people that can tolerate me. You see, once you get to know me, and find my weaknesses, I'm actually pretty loveable. It's just that no one ever gives that a chance.

We've known each other since kindergarten, but we really became bestfriends at his seventh birthday party. It was always a thing when we were younger to invite everyone from your class to your birthday party, and at this specific one, Jeremy Fields just so happened to show up. The kid was cruel, and so when he saw the opportunity to try and ruin Luke's birthday, he took it.

He ended up breaking the toy car that Luke had just received from his grandma as a present, and also popped the boy's favourite balloon, which he had held in his hand for the whole party. Luke ended up crying, Jeremy ended up laughing, and the parents around us ended up watching.

Me being me, I took my slice of cake, and shoved it straight into his smug looking face. If that wasn't enough, I also kicked him in the balls, leaving him in a puddle of tears on the floor, and Luke giggling at the sight of it. We weren't even friends, in fact I was forced to go by my brother, but I felt the need to do it.

The next day at school, Luke approached me in our class and sat down beside me. He opened up his packed lunch, and handed me a piece of his chocolate birthday cake that he had saved for me.
" Here you go " He said in a whisper, his high pitched voice sounding nervous.
I remember what he said next, which instantly made our friendship blossom.
" You wasted your cake for me... Thanks "

Straight after that, Luke told me that his mom didn't want me coming to his house ever again after that stunt, but he still asked me to be his friend anyway. His mom wasn't the happiest at first, but she learned to love me just like Luke did. The rest is history.

" Looking good, Thurlow " Jonah, one of the guys from the football team, commented, his right eye fluttering shut in a wink.
All of the guys sniggered, their eyes staring me down, as if I were a piece of meat.
All I did in return was fake gag, flipping the boy off in the process. He was a fuckboy, and it was going to be irritating having to deal with his remarks every day.

" So... How did you manage without me for a whole month? " Luke asked after he'd said goodbye to his friends, who eyed the two of us, or mostly me, as we walked away.
I scoffed, placing a hand on my hip.
" I managed just fine. It was rather relaxing without you, to be honest " I joked, obviously being sarcastic.
As sad as it sounds, Luke is my only friend, he's the only person here who isn't petrified of me beyond belief. So a month without him was pretty damn boring.

Luke gasped when I said this, placing his hand on his heart. I snickered, flicking his forehead with my finger, all while the two of us arrived at the auditorium. All of the students flooded into the empty hall, hurrying to save seats for their friends.

We walked up to the very back and took our usual seats, prepared for the cheesy speech our principal always gave us on the first day back to school.

" Oh, I forgot to tell you " Luke spoke up, beginning to whisper as it grew silent in the auditorium, with all of the students now sat on the bleachers quietly.
" Rumour has it there's a new kid transferring today... Apparently his name's Eric Doman, or something. I don't know "

I laughed when Luke said this, looking up at my bestfriend with a funny look on my face. Eric Doman? I shook my head, looking back down at the gym floor, where our principal stood with a microphone.

" I hope you all had a great summer, but it's just as great to have you back, for your final year here at EastField High! Am I right? " He yelled into the mike, expecting cheers of excitement from all of his students.
When all he got was silence, the smile on his face faded, his cheeks turning beat red. Luke and I looked at one another at the same time, holding in our laughter.

That was until the doors burst open, making everyone in the large and packed auditorium look that way. The heavy wooden doors smacked against the walls loudly, echoing throughout the gym, as a boy entered. His cheeks were dark, for a matter of fact, his cheeks were the exact same colour as his hoodie. A bright red.

Just as I thought it couldn't get anymore embarrassing for the boy, the sound of his squeaky shoes were heard as clear as day, as he made his way towards the nearest free seat. It just so happened that the nearest free seat was actually a long way away, all the way at the very back, near Luke and I.

I assumed he was new, as I had never seen him before. His hair was fluffy and brown, covering his forehead slightly. It was when he began climbing up the stairs with the silence of the auditorium surrounding him, though, that I felt a smirk curve up onto my lips.

Not bad looking. Not at all.

However, as he reached the top step, his foot missed it, and he slipped forward, nearly landing face first on the stairs. His backpack fell over his head and his squeaky shoe came off, landing a few steps down. For his sake I hoped that someone would be nice enough to pass it to him, but no one did, and to be completely honest, as cruel as it sounds, it was a little entertaining. Just a little.

This boy was clumsy as hell, and he knew it as he sunk down into his seat, in the row beside us, after receiving his shoe.

Everyone was watching him, many laughing and whispering, only making his cheeks a deeper shade of red. But when our principal spoke up once again, their attention went elsewhere.

Mine, however, stayed on the boy sitting a few feet away from me. I watched him, leant back in my seat, with a mischievous smirk on my face. That was when his eyes suddenly snapped to mine, his orbs that I realised were hazel, lingering on mine for seconds, before he quickly averted his gaze elsewhere.

What a way to make an entrance, new boy.