On The Mend?

Darren was not at church Sunday, nor at school Monday. No one could get ahold of him, and whenever somebody went to his house to ask his mother where he went, they would discover both had fled from home, and his father was desperately trying to track them. The cameras placed in his car by Adrianna were broken, and the last anyone had heard from them was when he told Grayson to leave.

"Something's not right..." Muttered Gregor, looking down at his feet.. The remaining friend group members were huddled over Grayson's kitchen table, poring over every social media site Darren and his mother owned to try and find them.

"Nah dip, sherlock!!" Snapped a stressed-out Grayson, taking a long swig of coffee.

"We have to find him. We just have to." Elaina had tears in her eyes, and Adrianna smirked knowingly. She seemed to be the only person that knew, though, and everyone else just stared.

"Nothing..." she murmured, looking down and blushing through her tears.

Just then, Grayson gasped in sudden thought. "Maybe... Check prince Harry's Facebook page. I betcha 20 bucks he knows something we don't."

"Yeah!!" Koda and Elaina squealed in unison, hopping onto their phones, and within minutes, Koda had a lead.

"The Crown Estate... something about them staying over..."

Grayson cut him off with a decisive gasp. "Let's all fly over to England and say hi!!!"

Everyone paused and looked at him, some gazes approving and some concerned. For example, Adrianna.

"How the heck are we gonna afford 6 plane tickets? Also, how do we know for sure he's really going there?"

Grayson froze momentarily at this before continuing. "I guess we're just gonna have to drain our bank accounts and pray we're doing the right thing. He's our friend, and we owe it to him to support him with... whatever's going on."

***

Darren's mom pulled the rental car, a Volvo, onto the side of the road and put it in park. Darren hated being on the run, but it looked like he was going to finally stay in one place for awhile. On top of the whole Grayson incident, Darren's mom had finally decided to leave Darren's step dad when he found Darren out of bed Saturday night. The guy had beaten Darren with his baseball bat and locked him outside, and he had to climb back into the house through the screen he had broken earlier. Now they were staying in England for a little while, at least until they could officially file for divorce and find a new house to live in.

"Darren, honey, you need to tell your friends where you are." His phone was continuously ringing with calls and texts from all his friends, but he'd ignored them in fear that answering them would somehow lure his ex-stepdad overseas to their new location. He hesitated a bit before giving in.

"D-darren!?" Stammered a confused Koda through the receiver. "Guys... Guys, he picked up!!" There was some celebration in the background before he continued.

"Where the heck are you!!"

"Shh.!!" Darren whispered fiercely. "I'm bleeding from the ears here, pacino. Let's calm down."

. "Okay, I'll try again," Koda replied sarcastically. "Where the heck are you? Scratch that, we're already on our way."

"You what!?!?" Shouted Darren, holding desperately onto the armrest for support. "No, you're not supposed to... Please tell me you at least covered your tracks."

Koda froze. "What do you mean by that?"

Darren's face drained of all colour (except for fur colours) "You idiots!! We're running from William. He beat me again Friday night, so mom's trying to divorce him. God dangit, guys!! He's gonna come for us now!!"