Words Are Weapons

Elaina stepped clumsily off the bus and spilled the contents of her school bag all over the sidewalk. She'd been anxious all night, from the point when Darren had run away to the point when she got grounded and wasn't able to catch up on the search for the guy she secretly liked. If he wasn't here today she would positively scream in panic.

"Here, I've got it. You okay?" She whipped around to reveal none other than Adrianna and Luca.

"Uhh... yeah. Yeah, thanks. What'd you do to your arm, Luca?" Anger sparked in her eyes and she turned away.

"Darren..." She muttered through gritted teeth.

Hope glimmered in Elaina's eyes, and she looked down at her feet, blushing.

"So... you guys found him?"

"Well, you can say that..." Adrianna stated flatly, rolling her eyes. "He mistook Luca for prey and bit a chunk out of her arm, then got beat up and ran away. Us two found him a few hours later, sneaking in a little something-something with Grayson." Her eyebrows wiggled a bit on the last part, and she giggled a little as Elaina socked her on the arm.

"Seriously, ri? You know I-" She leaned in close and whispered the rest. "Like him."

Adrianna froze a second, the grin falling from her face and shattering on the sidewalk.

"Ohmygosh, I'm so sorry. I forgot-"

"Yeah, sure you did." And with that, Elaina gathered the rest of her things in the swoop of her arms and stormed into the building alone.

***

Gregor threw on a t-shirt and jogged down the hall and out onto the highway. He'd made a new year's resolution to lose some holiday weight and was so far failing miserably, but it still felt good to at least every once in awhile try, and He seemed very determined to burn off some calories before he became a lazy fat arse.

Suddenly, he felt followed, and sure enough Grayson's Jeep beared down on his back like a huge burden. Grayson honked his horn, and Gregor moved off the road. The Jeep followed, however, and Grayson unzipped the "window" of his Jeep.

"Hop in, you idiot!!"

"No."

Darren opened his door then, folding his seat down accidentally on top of himself.

"Hop in, boi !" the seat had successfully crushed him.

"Finn~" And with that, they all skippity-hop-hopped down the road.

***

"You two should date."

These words rang throughout the hallways that day, and all over social media as well. Darren was quite frankly a little embarrassed by all the sudden attention. And the other big thing was the argument he and Grayson had last night, back at Grayson's house.

Grayson's house

"No."

The words made Darren recoil. The only one he thought cared, had just left his mind in a rush so painful, it even affected his heart. It felt like a huge stampede had ran over his heart. Small hot tears begin to sting his eyes as he tries to wipe them away fast before Grayson ever noticed. The guy had just hugged him not even an hour ago, didn't that mean anything? What the heck had he ever done to deserve this?

"Please don't cry. Please. I just..."

"Just what, Gray?" Darren exploded, freeing the tears to flow out and pour down his face like a waterfall. "I thought... Didn't what happened earlier mean anything to you? Am I not enough for you?" The words flew out of Darren's mouth with such force, such brutality, that they stung Darren himself. "What is wrong with me..."