Chapter 29

Chapter 29

While we waited for Gamora's contact, the others decided to hang out in the nearby casino, while I sat outside by myself; and by myself, I meant I sat listening to Chloe and Dahlia argue. I swear it never ended. " Will you two please, just shut up." I pleaded.

I looked over as the others, minus Drax who seemed to have wondered off after the commotion inside, appeared from with a girl in a dress, and I got up to follow them. Chloe and Dahlia went quiet as they trailed along behind me. " Something doesn't feel right." Chloe whispered to me and I glanced at her in confusion, while the others looked over in surprise. " Have they always been there?" Quill questioned and my mental companions shared a smirk before vanishing from sight. " Who?" I asked 

He stared at me suspiciously before looking over as we approached a large building. Chloe and Dahlia reappeared out of curiosity and I rolled my eyes at the two of them. " Stay out of sight for now." I told them.

" Dont need to tell us twice." Dahlia muttered as she peered through the glass of the nearest case. The alien girl introduced us to her master, Taneleer Tivan, the collector. Something about him unnerved me, and it wasn't just his 'collection' either. He questioned Groot about letting him have his corpse after he died, something Groot seemed to agree to, though Rocket also had his opinion on it. Quill tried to hand him the object that they were trying to sell to him, and it was then that I actually got a good look at the thing. " What do you think is inside?" Dahlia asked Chloe, who only shushed her in response as we watch him nearly drop it, but seconds before it hit the ground it froze in mid air. I studied my nails in boredom as the strange object placed itself in the collector's hand.

" I will never get used to that." Quill's mind whispered to me before I could stop it and I glanced toward Chloe as she stepped closer to the collector as he opened the canister. " Before creation, there were 7 singularities. " As the collector explained, images began to appear above us and I stepped closer to the group to get a better look at the images. "Then the universe exploded into existence, and the remnants of these systems were forged into concentrated ingots....Infinity Stones."

Something crossed Chloe and Dahlia's faces and I glanced at the two of them in confusion before I noticed two of the images were pictures of two very familiar objects. " The Aether and the tesseract." I muttered. Gamora and the others jumped as I spoke, having forgotten I was still there. " These stones it seems can only be brandished by beings of extraordinary strength. Observe." He said motioning to one of the images and I looked over just in time too see some sort of giant, or something wipe out an entire civilization with the power of just one. Fear curled down my spine and I clenched my fist. Was this what I was meant for then, to be used like weapon? Was this the capabilities of my power?

As if responding to my emotions, Chloe and Dahlia materialized fully, then in sync we all turned at the sound of a click to see the glowing purple stone. " Beautiful." The collector said, barely being able to contain his enthusiasm. "You forgot destructive." Dahlia muttered rolling her eyes and Chloe elbowed her.

Rocket, showing his disinterest, asked when they were supposed to get paid and the collector went to get what he owed, but as he was reaching for it. The girl that had led us here approached the stone with a determined look on her face. " Carina, stand back." He ordered but she refused as she declared. " I will no longer be your slave."

" Run." Chloe, Dahlia and I all cried as we moved as one toward the girl but it was to late as she grabbed the stone, unleashing it's destructive power. Everyone took covered as the energy began to build around the room, and I teleported to the girl's wrist, hoping to absorb and turn it off the energy like I had with the tesseract.  While the girl was beyond saving, I found my self unaffected by the blast that soon swallowed the entire building.

" Thank you." a familiar, and yet unfamiliar, voice whispered from the depths of my mind, seconds before I found myself collapsing to the ground.