chapter 4 ➵ the big boss man

chapter 4 // the big boss man

The days had flown by as I'd waited for the interview.

Standing in the blistering cold at the bus stop, I wrapped my pale fingers closer around the edges of my Merlot-coloured felt coat, pulling it in to me in an attempt to create more warmth. Summer had flashed by just as quickly as the lightning that the autumnal storms had brought, and with it came a steady, never-ending torrent of rain. Today was a particularly cold day with the wind nipping at my skin, and I regretted not bringing a scarf.

The bus pulled up, only narrowly missing splashing me (which would have made my already awful day just that bit better. Not.) I stepped aboard and I'm greeted by a blast of warm air and a friendly face as the driver acknowledges me. Tucking a loose hickory tress of hair behind my ear, I fumbled for the exact money, before making my way to the back of the bus amidst the endless rows of empty seats. 

Being inside and out of the miserable weather made me perk up a little. I had a good half an hour before I got to Castillo Acres, so I had time to prepare myself. But then again, nothing can prepare you well enough when you're about to meet the son of Freddie Castillo! And I'm the one doing the meeting! A smile flickers across my face as I catch my reflection on the window, speckled by raindrops racing each other like Thoroughbreds down the track of the pane. There is a buzz of excitement in my chest, and clearly my face is betraying me as it gives away my happiness freely. Cheeks flushed from the sudden change in temperature paired with cracked lips from the cold, reflection-Clara offers real-life-Clara a frown. Fumbling about in my bag I pull out a lipstick -- it's a slightly brown nude, perfect for keeping a neutral tone. Flicking open the mirror I keep with me, I take a peek, and I'm greeted by a slightly more elegant version of myself. It definitely feels more interview-worthy, at least.

My phone lights up on the seat next to me, and I glance down to read the notification. It's the fourth text I've had this morning, each from a different person wishing me good luck. Imogen and Alice had sent theirs on the way to school, no doubt one of them remembering and having to remind the other. Some days I wished I had a twin, as they seemed to be each others' calendars! Anna had still been in bed when I'd left, probably lying in till 1pm like I've known her to do countless times. But she'd still remembered, and I'd been pleased to get her text. The most recent happened to be from Ross, who had told me to 'go for it'. I was warmed by his apparent want for me to succeed, but then saw that he might have ulterior motives.

Ross: Hey doll, good luck today! Go get 'em tiger! (And get Jude for me. Pretty pleaseeeee?) Much love xx

I fumbled to get a text back, my hands still numb from the cold.

Clara: Soz boo. No can do. Not sure my possible new boss would be impressed with me dragging him back to meet you... but thanks for the support. Love u xx

The mundane scenery of the town quickly changed to gorgeous countryside, with rolling fields filled with various breeds of sheep and cows and patterned with cultivated soil or growing vegetables. Not many horses as of yet, but no doubt I would see them soon, as my phone told me I was approaching the stop I needed to get off at. 

With a quick thank you to the driver, I stepped off eagerly, finding myself on an apparent bus stop which happened to be nothing but a grassy verge. It was certainly out of the way; I glanced up and down the country road and it showed no signs of life, other than the grumbling of the bus as it pulled away. I checked my phone once again. It wasn't much of a trek, but if I had to make it in the heart of winter everyday, I wasn't sure I could survive.