22. American Dream

Start from the beginning

"Oh, nothing too fancy," I said as I stepped inside, shoving my hands into my pocket. "What about you? Why aren't you in your. . . veil thing?"

"I'm not on official duties," she said, as I heard familiar voices in the background. "Anyway, why don't you go and say hi to my parents. They've missed you. They're all out in the backyard."

With that, she took my present to the living room, arranging it along with the rest of the gifts on the coffee table. Following that, she darted into the kitchen. She seemed busy enough. Not wanting to disturb her, I made my way to the backyard.

The spring weather was really great for a little yard party. It wasn't too hot, and it wasn't too chilly either. The yard was pretty spacious, decorated with flowering bushes and plants by the side. I knew them pretty well. Clyde had planted them. He always loved plants.

There was a table by the deck, covered with a tablecloth, filled with a spread of food. Pastries, strawberries, some canapes. Food perfect for spring. I, on the other hand, was too nervous to actually have an appetite.

There were about a dozen people at the little gathering. Some friends, some relatives of the Andersons. Mostly people I recognise but weren't particular close to. Two aunts were seated on lounge chairs having a chat, smoothies in hand, while children chased each other in the dewy grass.

"Ah, Leslie!" I looked up at the familiar voice. "It's good to see you!"

A rather plump middle-aged man, his hair turning white, walked up to me, a smile on his face.

"Hey Joe," I chuckled nervously, my hands still shoved in my pockets. "It's been a while."

"How have you been, boy?" he asked.

"I've been doing okay," I told him, smiling, genuinely happy to see him again after so long. "Things are looking up."

"I'm glad to hear that," he replied, before turning around. "Dear look who decided to show up!"

Mrs. Anderson looked up as she placed a tray of smoothies on the table. Once she saw me, the kindly woman rushed over to greet me.

"It's so great to see you again!" she said as she welcome me with a hug. "We missed you so much!"

"Me too, Ann" I replied, as she finally let go.

"How's Omaha?" Joe asked. "Clara told me you're an electrician now."

"Yeah, I am," I replied. "And I've got my own little apartment."

"It's so great to see you all grown up and independent," his wife remarked. "It seems like only yesterday you were a little boy."

I only smiled sheepishly at them. These two have always been so kind to me. We had a nice little chat, before they left me to entertain other guests, but not before asking me to try out the food and to enjoy myself. I thanked them, and walked around the yard. I popped a strawberry in my mouth and scanned my surroundings.

It was then when I saw Clyde, his babk facing me as he worked the grill, flipping burgers and sausages. He didn't seem to notice me as I stood there, staring at his muscular arms peeking from the sleeves of his polo shirt. It's been a while since I last saw him, and he was looking great as usual.