"I should go find my parents so they know I'm here," I said.

     "Have fun with that," Victoria said dashing over to a tray of cupcakes.

      I groaned and went over to where my mother was standing. A very regal looking woman with her dark green dress and striking facial features. I got my looks from her, our eyes were very similar, and our hair was the exact same shade of red.

     "Elizabeth Evelyn Huntress," My mother said addressing me while barely glancing in my direction. "Where have you been?"

     "I was on the lookout," I said.

      My mother sighed deeply and shook her head. "Go tell your brother happy birthday. And ask him if he needs anything. As his sister, it's your job to support him with anything he wants or needs."

      "Yes, Ma'am," I said walking away. I started maneuvering my way through the crowd to find James. I spotted him in a corner talking to the Duke of Cloverton. I stood by quietly eating a cookie until their conversation was over. I stole it off a tray while I was on my way over here.  As soon as the duke walked away, I stepped forward.

     "Who was that again?" James asked me.
I rolled my eyes. "The Duke of Cloverton."

     "Oh yes, that's right. Thank you."

      James was next in line to rule our country, Alandra, and he couldn't even recognize the Duke of Cloverton?  And Cloverton was one of our closest allies!  It pained me to think that my brother was going to be the next King. I hated to be rude, but I honestly thought I could do a much better job. But I wasn't born first, so I didn't even get a chance. I needed to figure out a way to convince my parents to let me be queen. I've dreamed of being a queen ever since I was little. To be able to rule my own country, and do a good job, that's all I currently wanted out of life.

       "Happy Birthday, by the way," I said to James.

      "Thanks," He said.

      "No problem.  Do you need anything?" I asked as an afterthought thinking of what my mother said to me.

      James shook his head. "No, thank you, I'm good."

       Out of the corner of my eye I spotted Victoria trying to get my attention. "Excuse me," I said to James. I didn't wait for his answer and made my way over to Victoria. She was standing by one of the dessert tables, what a surprise.

      "What's up?" I asked when I reached her.

     "Look who's finally here," Victoria said nodding at someone across the room. I followed her gaze to Lazarus, my fiancé.

      "Mmm, I don't feel like entertaining him tonight," I said. "Why don't you take care of that for me?"

       Victoria grinned. "Sure, no problem." She dashed off in his direction and I watched her go. Of course, she would never turn down an offer to talk to an attractive guy like Lazarus. Not a boy crazy girl like her.

      Prince Lazarus Malcolm Henry of Middltion, was one of the reasons I probably wouldn't ever have the chance to be queen. I had been engaged to him ever since I was a little girl. Our countries are allies, and our marriage would tighten our relationship. For us not to get married would be like a slap in the face to each country. However, Lazarus was the second in line to the thrown after his older sister, Abigail. So, it's not like I could marry him and get to be queen of his country, if I married him I'd still be crownless. Still only second in line.
I actually had nothing against Lazarus. He was a great guy and very easy on the eyes, but I didn't want to marry him. If I married him, then I'd be giving up the chance for a crown and a chance to not have an arranged marriage.

       I started wandering the crowd and quizzed myself on everyone I recognized. A good leader remembers everyone, from the commoners you meet, to your allies, and of course your enemies. The Princess of Chinten was here. I spotted Prince John, ew. I wasn't a fan of him. Abigail, Lazarus' sister, was speaking to the head adviser to my father. I paused and spoke to a lot of them, seeing how they were doing and such.

       I spotted a younger girl wearing a red dress that was way too tight around her chest, making her small breasts look like they were going to pop out of the top. I sighed. I knew this girl all too well. It was my younger sister, Tori the Tramp.

       Tori the Tramp wasn't my sister's real name, obviously. I just gave her that nickname because she seemed to always be with a new guy at every party we had. And she's actually managed to sneak out of the castle to meet boys before. I'm not sure how a 12-year-old was capable of that, but she was a crafty little devil.

      "Hey, Tori, what are you doing?" I asked her.

       Tori didn't look at me, she was too busy scanning the room. "Looking for Manny." Manny was the 14-year-old son of the head maid in the castle, he lived here with her. A very nice young man, I might add.

      "Was he even allowed to come tonight?" I asked.

      Tori shrugged. "I asked him too."

      I rolled my eyes. Just because Tori asked him too didn't mean many would be allowed to come. She didn't have a lot of pull around here. After all, she still is only 12. And she already doesn't have the best reputation.

     "Can you believe James is going to be 18 next year and will be crowned king? That's just crazy," Tori said.

      "Yep, crazy," I agreed.

      Tori scampered off without warning. I'll assume she spotted Manny, or some other guys, who knows. In her place now was Victoria.

      "Done with Lazarus?" I asked her.

      "For now," She said and I laughed. "He said he wanted to look for you and asked if I had seen you recently.  I lied and said I thought I saw you leave the room to go to the bathroom or something.  That should keep him busy for a while."

       I shook my head at her amused. "That was evil of you, but you are the bestest friend ever."
Not too far from us I saw James laughing with some of our advisors, everyone just seemed to adore him. It was quite irksome really. I mean, it did make sense, James was a kindhearted person and very easygoing.

       "I'm never going to be queen," I muttered.

      Victoria glanced sideways at me before grabbing a cupcake from a passing tray. "You're such a pessimist," She said.

      "You're such an optimist," I countered grabbing a cookie from another passing tray.  It wasn't much of an insult, but I said it like it was one.

     "That's why we're such good friends!"

      "If you say so."

       I thought about what Tori said earlier. James was going to be 18 in one year. I had one year to convince my parents I could be a better queen. But how?