10

When I'm able to sleep I have intense dreams. Sometimes they are gray, dark nightmares, sometimes they are beautiful, colorful ones, like the one I had last night.

I was closing big wooden windows on my house, with one of them illuminated by lovely neon lights. I woke up with that happiness only good dreams give you, and could see every detail of my home still, wich is funny because I don't have a home, I am as homeless as ever, I'm worst than homeless, I'm hiding from the cops. At least homeless people have the luxury to roam the streets freely.

This chick from the Troubadour has been letting me hide in her apartment, apparently with no hidden intentions but to help me and the band out, but fuck if I don't know what she's after, because I do. I'll keep it to myself until the moment comes, as in general, Vicky is nice enough, and as long as she doesn't want to fuck me, I'm fine with her hospitality.

Slash in the other hand, is gone to valley, staying with Steven and his new porn actress girlfriend. I swear I don't know how that mutt does it, but he does, and I'm hearing wild rumours about coke parties and threesomes while I'm confined inside this minute place, missing Slash like crazy, even when I'm too proud to admit it.

"Whatcha ya thinking?" Izzy asks, passing me a beer.

He comes everyday bringing food, newspapers, booze, drugs, gossip, and in all honesty, I'd gone crazy if I were to be on my own all day.

"I'm not thinking. I dare not." I answer drily.

"Has Slash been in contact?"

I look at him. "No. Why?"

"He knows you're here. And the number."

"How the hell does he knows it?" I ask Izzy, surprised. To me the valley might as well be another continent entirely.

"You don't think that perhaps somebody went to see him?" He says smirking.

"Who? You?" I ask.

"My band mate too, isn't he?"

I have no rebutt for that, so I sip my beer in silence.

"How is he?" I ask after a while.

"How is he? Better than you, I assure." Izzy says, giving me a lit cigarette.

"I doubt it, we are both locked indoors."

"Yeah but while you're here pinning for him like motherfucking Rapunzel, he's living his incarceration with a much more open mind."

"What the fuck do you mean by that? I'm not pinning after nobody! I'm tired of hiding! And what the hell does it mean open mind??" I ask, furious.

"You're not dumb, Billy. Figure out for yourself. " Izzy says, picking up his things and leaving.

I know Izzy well enough to know what he's capable off. Do I know Slash that well?

*****

As it turns, I won't have to wait too long to find out. The kid that accused us of rape has dropped charges, and suddenly, We are free.

A friend of ours is throwing a barbecue to our freedom, and Izzy is picking Slash and Steven from the valley.

Vicky and her house mate leave, but I linger behind. I should be the first one running for the door, but somehow freedom no longer appeals to me.

The phone rings.

"What the hell, Axl! Everybody is waiting for you! Get your ass down here!"

"Fuck you too Stevie. " I say, hanging up.