Miss Marguerite yanked her down a diagonal corridor past Harriet's chambers. "Your brother is here for your father, a Marquess, so he should be up there. But you are with me, as a lady-in-waiting. I ask that you not disobey me, understood?"

She lowered her tone but something in it hinted at a deeper knowledge. Knowledge that Céleste would have to interrogate her on later, when she wasn't scampering after her, to avoid getting lost in the maze of halls.

At the conclusion of the crosswise passage, Miss Marguerite turned right without hesitation, as if she could navigate the hall with her eyes closed.

Quite a keen sense of direction!

A new corridor opened, and to their left they found a door labeled Esther Bristol. As if to confirm her presence, they heard Esther from within, yelling, "Do not change that! I must wear these dresses in that order!"

Miss Marguerite grumbled. "I will speak with her later." She motioned Céleste forward. "She is so respectful of the serving staff at the Academy; must be her nerves."

In this new area, the turquoise colors shifted to pastel pinks. The red carpeting covered the entire floor, and the corridor itself was smaller. Rich portraits rested next to golden chandeliers and beautiful designs carved into the pillars and walls. Farther down, the hall concluded in a square space with a few doors, and two sets of rickety wooden stairs; one leading downward, and one up.

Miss Marguerite continued, stopping at a door not far before the shabby staircases. Glimmering letters indented on part of the wood near the doorknob; when Céleste met up with her, she squinted at the words.

Miss M., Director of Totresian Royal Academy.

"These are service stairs, are they not?" Céleste pursed her lips. "Why would your room be so close to them? Why not closer to the other girls?"

Miss Marguerite ignored her and rushed towards said service stairways. Once she reached them, she pivoted to her right and vanished.

As fast as she could in her dress shoes, Céleste ran to catch up. "Wait!"

As she rounded the corner, panting, she found a narrow path lining a lengthy indoor balcony, with another corridor at its end. Miss Marguerite stared down at whatever loomed below, her expression hard to read.

Céleste joined her and leaned over the railing. A large chandelier—like the one in the Entryway—swayed from the ceiling above, drooping past the railing and overlooking polished wooden floors so bright they almost appeared orange.

Is that the Ballroom?

Miss Marguerite pulled her from the lustrous white-wood fencing and sighed. "There are more rooms that way," she pointed right, where the corridor started anew, "and yes, we have won the chambers closest to the service stairs. But we will not complain. I have no proper title. I am a lesser noble, and lucky enough to not have to sleep in the Basement with the servants." She tugged at Céleste's sleeve, breaking her awe and drawing her from the small balcony.

Céleste followed her, but her mind fizzled with thoughts she couldn't control. Miss Marguerite's negative attitude in the carriage ride; her difficulty exiting the vehicle once arrived; her awkward exchange with the Princess; and now, a nostalgic demeanor after glancing down at the giant room below.

Something wasn't right. The Director's ease with steering them about the halls gave Céleste chills, but she had no time to dwell on the issue as she passed the threshold of Miss Marguerite's quarters.

Her heart stopped.

Despite its unpleasant location, the chamber was splendid. The walls were a deep basil splashed with leaf patterns. The canopy bed, centered against the wall across from the door, had a pastel rose bedspread and might allow four to five people to lounge on it. Forest green curtains surrounding the bed were open, and a laundered scent permeated the air. Candles in gold sconces brightened the suite, accompanying a roaring fire to the left of the door. A comfortable sitting space of two couches and a chaise sat beside a moderate-sized vanity, an ornate closet, and a divider. On the left side of the bed, a thick emerald cloth concealed a small window.