Chapter 7: A New Found Friend

Start from the beginning

He laughs again and I swear, I could record his laugh and put it on repeat for a whole day until I finally declare that it sucked which, for a fact won’t even happen because it is undeniably good to hear. 

“Well, I’d suppose you get mad easily, huh?” He says it in a tone where he just concluded something out of the blue.

“Duuh. Do you even have to ask?” I joke in a duhh tone.

“You know, we should hangout more.”

“If that would increase your level of ego chuchu whatever that is, sure, why not?”

“In all serious cases, I can help you out with your anger issues. I’m being a friend here.” He waves both his hands up in the air. 

“It’s about to start so can you guys please shush now?” It was Grace who interrupted our talk, rolling her eyes. If she was jealous about how his younger brother made friends so quickly, she could just let down all that pride and talk to me ya know.

I wasn’t able to retort since the emcee started talking to begin the ceremonies. I wasn’t even sure why I was here but to make myself not to leave, I am here because of a) my mom, b) the palatable food and c) this extremely handsome gentleman beside me.

***

It was now dark outside and everyone was on the dance floor and even my mom, who wasn’t much of a fan for dancing was dancing. I felt so proud for her because this was not just her dream; this was our dream for her. 

Since the dance floor was too occupied, I asked permission from my mom if I could just take a walk at the garden located just outside the multi-purpose hall of the hospital and she delightfully allowed.

I propped myself on a chair and dropped my shoes off.

“Damn these shoes. These are too tight!” I half shouted. 

Do you ever get that feeling where you get very enthusiastic buying a new pair of shoes? So you try to fit every pair on the racks until you finally end up with something good and with something that is perfect on your feet. Your mom says, “Go walk with it.” And it fits perfectly as if it was literally made for your feet. But then when you use it every now and then, you get the realization how imperfect it was on you.

It sucks, doesn’t it?

“Boo!” a very deep voice startles me and as I look back, I sigh, when I saw who it was.

“Wait – is today called startle-the-sht-out-of-kaye day? First, that Narnia guy, then my mom and then you.” I enumerate the people who have been giving me ‘startlebumps’, as if that word exists. 

Thinking about that Narnia guy, I wonder what has happened in school now. Probably lots of murmurs about my game with Carson or maybe they think I’m that badass kind of girl for skipping school on its second day.