Chapter 6: Edit Your Hometown

"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned." -Maya Angelou

*

Loki opens his green eyes to find the spot next to him empty. Frowning, he rolls over to find Annaka in a chair by the fire reading a book, only the bottom half of her dressed fully.

"So, honeymoons," she says, looking over her shoulder at him. "Where are we going?"

Loki grins. He'd hoped that her bad habits of waking up at ungodly hours would stop once they were married, or perhaps lengthen a few hours at least, but it didn't look like that was going to happen. "Wherever you deem suitable."

"Mmm, see that's the thing," she replies. "I don't necessarily have wanderlust, so the destination is all on you, love."

It seems like ever since she was taken from Jotunheim, Annaka has had no desire to travel at all. This gives Loki a brilliant idea.

"I have a place," Loki says. "I'm not sure what we'll find, but I'm sure we can make the best of it."

"Okay." Annaka casts a radiant smile at him. "When do we leave?"

Loki sits up and rubs his eyes. "What time is it now?"

Annaka turns back to the clock on the mantelpiece. "About nine."

"How about after lunch?" Loki suggests. Annaka agrees, and Loki gets out of bed, pulling pants on and kissing her good morning.

***

"I would dress warm if I were you."

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise."

Annaka and Loki trail back to their room after lunch to put on something more travel worthy.

"I would suggest a winter coat," Loki tells her, "and boots."

Giving him a strange face, Annaka disappears into the closet to get said items. She picks her white overcoat and matching boots, putting them on and going back out to see Loki wearing similar articles.

"Loki, do I have to remind you that we're frost giants? I seriously doubt the cold is going to bother us much."

"Trust me, I don't know what to expect," Loki admits. "It's just a precaution."

"Alright," Annaka mumbles. "Are we teleporting or asking Heimdall?"

"I think teleporting will be efficient. Now, like I've said, I don't know what we'll find, so if it's not what I expect, we'll think of somewhere else to go." Taking her hand, Loki pictures his destination in his head and teleports straight to it.

They land inside what looks like a giant castle made of ice. Annaka slips on the icy floor; Loki catches her elbow to keep her upright. Annaka squints, trying to figure out where they are by taking a few careful steps around. Whirling around, her eyes pop. "We're in Jotunheim. This was Laufey's castle."

"Quite right." Loki nods, looking around. "It was deserted after the battle; they moved to a more distinct and clandestine location. No one's been here in ages."

Annaka venture around curiously. The throne room is pure ice. The throne itself is jagged and pointy, able to draw blood with the slightest prick. The chandelier above shines with frost, and the floors are shiny enough to see your own reflection in.

"The chandelier there worked interestingly," Loki says, pointing at the fixture. "Light would come in from that opening," he points to a square in the roof, "and it would reflect off the ice and light the place."