Fourteen

"How long do you think he has now?" you asked from beside Tony, who was laying down on the workshop bench, head dangling off the other side and right hand playing with a spanner.

He glances at the wristwatch, "I'd say an hour."

Bucky was pacing the length of the lab, occasionally stopping to look at the portal, his steel eyes still showing signs of him ready to jump in there for Steve. Sam was sat on the floor, his eyes closed and head rested against some cabinets, legs sprawled out in front of him. You were nervous, jittery and worried, despite the fact Tony said he'd do what he can there was a chance you may never see Steve again.

You felt sick, you should have tried harder to keep him here but you didn't, this was all a mess. Bucky let out a long groan and stopped pacing, he stood with his hands on his hips, foot tapping on the tiled floor and glaring at the portal in front of him.

"I can go in there and bring him out in less than five minutes," he tells you all, back facing everyone and shoulders tensed, Tony let out a grumble that didn't sound entirely human and Sam opened his eyes and threw a challenging look to Bucky.

Tony sits up, "listen, Terminator, didn't you hear a word I said? We have to wait, he isn't that much of an idiot, he'll come back and if not plan B will come into action" Tony's hair a mess, from all the times he had run his hands through it in frustration.

"Oh, and what's plan B?" Bucky asked, turning his head and crossing his arms.

"Get Rogers back."

"That's not even a plan, that's like a title of a plan, not even twelve percent of a fucking plan, Stark." Bucky harshly snapped; Tony didn't retaliate with harsh words or a sassy one-liner.

"I know this is hard to understand but he is my friend also, I have a plan, I and Bruce are working on something just in case" he states calmly, "for now can we all just remain calm, when it gets to the point of plan B then we'll use it."

Bucky nods stiffly and goes back to looking at the portal, you sigh gently, looking down at your hands feeling the tears well up in your eyes. You then see a human hand and a metal one take yours in them, you glance up and Bucky is smiling sympathetically at you, you sniff gently and he pulls your arms to wrap around his neck as he hugs you tightly.

You silently cry into Bucky's neck as he rubs comforting circles onto your back with his metal thumb, human hand playing with the ends of your hair, allowing you to just muffle your sobs onto him. It's silent for a few minutes as you calm down, pulling away and wiping your eyes, Bucky watched you with a concerned expression.

"I'm fine," you mumble mainly to yourself, he nods but doesn't move away from you, instead of standing beside you in case you need someone to hold you again.

He's about to talk when a muffled voice is heard, you all perk up, Tony from the control panel looks at Sam who looks at Bucky who is looking at the portal. It's silent until the voice is heard again, it's faint but there, it's like they are calling for someone.

"Bucky!" everyone looks at Bucky who frowns.

"Steve?" he questions, he looks at Tony who has a smug smile on his face, which is his 'I told you so' face.

"Bucky!" the voice is louder and it's definitely Steve's, your heart picks up and you smile as Bucky walks closer to the portal, Tony makes an 'Ah-Ha' sound and the portal shifts; instead of a misty purple and white, it's clear, but not entirely it's a picture of a door.

"What's that?" Bucky asked looking at Tony.

"Well, I somehow figured out how to make so we can see into that universe, about damn time too" he mutters and walks over to where you are sat, hoping to sit on and watch, waiting for Steve to open the door.