"And then what?"

"And then I'll fight for you until you give me a chance."

< : > : < : > : < : >

Last night's phone call slipped its way into my dreams. It was nothing new to dream of Phoenix. I would dream of him often doing sweet things like sitting at the park learning more about each other or sitting at the beach watching the waves while we talked about our lives. Last night was different. Last night was . . .erotic.

"Harlow you can take your break when you're done."

Jumping at my cousin's voice I looked around realizing that I was at work holding toasted truffle inti-matte nude lipstick. The woman who I was supposed to be help paid me no attention head down in her phone.

Looking back over my shoulder Terry waited behind me quietly. "I'll take over after her."

Nodding thanking him in response I finished with my customer apologizing for going so slow. She said it was fine without looking up.

Taking my break I grabbed my purse heading for the food court to meet up with Timara. Letting my nose decide for my stomach what we would be eating I inhaled a few times probably looking strange to by passers. My stomach didn't growl once and my taste buds didn't water to any of the food names so I walked over to Jamba Juice.

Ordering a Island Pitaya Bowl I was going to force myself to eat it knowing I would be hungry before my shift was over if I didn't eat now. Thanking the woman for my change and food I found a table with two chairs. Making my way over some girl took a seat in the chair I was headed for. Just as I was about to catch an attitude she turned around waving with a smile.

Rolling my eyes at Timara I took the chair across from her. "You saw me coming for the table."

"I did." She laughed. "I had to beat you to it though. You looked determined to get here." Shaking my head mixing my bowl together Timara opened her icing cup to dip her cinnamon pretzel in. "So what's up? How's work?"

"Phoenix called me Sunday night and last night." I blurted out.

Timara paused with icing covered pretzel halfway to her mouth. "He called you . . . and you answered? You answered, right?"

"I did."

"What the hell happened girl? Tell me!" She scooted her chair forward taking a bite of her pretzel.

"He apologized -"

"As he should."

"Said he was protecting his own feelings."

"From falling for you more?" Her smile widened. "Aww! Harlow!"

"His deployment got extended." Her smiled faded. "I know but he told me that he wants to fight for me once he gets out the military."

"Will you wait for him?"

Shrugged my shoulders. I had no reason not to. There wasn't anyone else in the picture for me. There was still so much about each other that we didn't know. Was he going to move back in with his aunt and Dylan? Would he ask to live with me? Would he find his own place? Would he even move back to Indiana or a state close by? Would he only stay for a little bit then move back to sunny California?

"Harlow?"

"Hm?"

"What are you thinking about?"

"Phoenix's friend is buy a house here - well in Indiana and is looking for a roommate. You interested?"

"Um, is his friend a serial killer? What does he look like? Is he a friend in the military? Where in Indiana is he moving too?"

I thought of the things Phoenix told me on the phone about Corey finding a place here. "It is a place in town. Yes, he's in the military but he's getting out next year. I don't think the military would keep a serial killer. I'm sure they would lock him up if he was."

"It there an ad or something?"

Taking out my phone I pulled up the ad Phoenix was telling me about on social media. Clicking on it to show the full ad I handed the phone over to Timara. Silently reading it her eyes moved from left to right slightly enlarging. Noticing a smirk on her face I asked what was funny.

"I know him."

"Who?"

"Corey." She covered her mouth hiding her smile. "We went to high school together. He was my lab partner often."

"A match made in heaven!" I clapped excitedly like she did when I told her about Phoenix.

"It says the roommate has to be male."

Both of our shoulders fell in defeat until something popped in my head. "I got it! Change your name!"

Timara laughed swirling her pretzel in the icing. "What if I still get denied?"

"How can he turn down a hot tamale like you? Make your name . . . I don't know Timothy Johnson or something and keep it until you meet him for the keys."

"What about first month's nonrefundable rent?"

"If he turns you down I will pay you back myself so no money is lost."

"You just got it all figured out." She laughed.

I didn't have anything in life figured out. I was trying to figure out a way to get a better job, trying to figure out a way to move into a bigger place within a few years, trying to figure out my feelings for Phoenix and what would happen if I took a chance. I had nothing figured out but laughed along with her instead. Timara seemed a lot more well put together than me and of course I was rooting for her to get the place with Corey and out of her parent's house.

< : > : < : > : < : >

♦ Don't hate me 😭😭 No Cure is slowly coming along. So slowly but it's coming 😭😭

♦ This book is almost over. My story juices are starting to run dry 😞

See you next week !