THIRTEEN

: > : Chapter Thirteen : < :

Phoenix | Other people

Phoenix sat his desk answering calls like he has been doing for the past five months. It was his job as a Radio Operator to sit and answer the phone helping when needed, for now at least. Harlow was the only part of the day that he looked forward to. Prichett was always fun to be around but Harlow . . . Harlow made him smile and laugh in a different way. He enjoyed hearing how cute she sounded during their first few phone calls when she was still half sleep. Her voice groggy and tired, not that he minded how awake and alert she was now . . . or rather before . . . Before he became dumb and let days go by without calling her back.

At twenty-four Phoenix didn't feel like playing around about being with someone. He was at the point in his life where being in a relationship would be nice but not necessary especially since he was still deployed and had two and a half months left.

Two and a half months

He was more than halfway done with the MEU and excited couldn't come close to how he felt. Never did Phoenix think he would miss being in the barracks. A space about the same size of a college dorm room if not smaller. Prichett and Phoenix were both scheduled to get out in the same month next year but Phoenix wasn't so sure that he was ready to leave the Marine Corps.

There was a brotherhood within the Corps that you couldn't get with civilians. There were jokes that they wouldn't get. Sayings that they wouldn't understand and questions that they would always ask because they didn't know and weren't in the military.

There was no rush to make his decision to get out or stay in. He still had roughly ten months to decide. His buddy Prichett was ready to get out. He was already looking at houses to buy back in Indiana and even asked if Phoenix wanted to be roommates for a little longer.

It wasn't as if he didn't have someone to go home to. His Aunt Justine and younger cousin Dylan would be elated to see him and have him home. He was sure that his aunt would start crying when they were reunited.

Turning to Prichett while he played a game on his phone Phoenix stared at his cell wondering if Harlow had ever tried to return his call. They had been back on ship for a week now and using a cell phone was no longer an option. It still didn't stop him for hoping that she possibly tried to reach him.

"I hope you're not staring at my phone hoping it will ring." Prichett said without looking up.

Phoenix exhaled loudly. "Nah, I was just wondering if you could look up some flights back home for me. Have you bought your ticket yet?"

Prichett shook his head opening his mouth when his Master Gunnery Sergeant walked the room. They all stood greeting him accordingly. "I want a word with all the Sergeants." All Corporals and below left the room leaving Prichett, Phoenix, and two others in the room aside from Master Gunnery Sergeant. "There are a few groups that will given the opportunity to go back early. I'm making my list for Radio as to who will go back. Out of the four Sergeants that are here I want two of you to stay the remainder of deployment. You can talk amongst yourselves and decide who is going and who is staying. Give me names by zero six-thirty tomorrow. Are we clear?"

"Roger that Master Guns."

"Rah Master Guns."

"Good." He nodded before exiting.

Phoenix turned back to his computer finishing his work. He wasn't about to start the conversation to go back home. He wasn't sure if going back to base would be a good idea. What the hell would he do besides be all the more tempted to call Harlow waiting for his Aunt Justine and Dylan to come visit him.

"I think Rizzo should go." Sergeant Atkinson said. "His wife had the baby three months ago and he hasn't been able to Skype them since she gave birth."

They all agreed that Sergeant Rizzo would go home.

"I think Prichett should go. He's trying to buy a house and that shit takes forever. He has my vote."

Prichett leaned towards Phoenix. "What the hell man? You need to go home and meet up with Harlow."

"I'm not going to force a long distance relationship on her. I can wait to go home to see my family and if I happen to run into Harlow then so be it but I'm not going to seek her out. It wouldn't be fair."

"You'll have the opportunity to apologize to her face and you're not going to take it?"

"How's the house search coming?"

"I'm so close to punching you in the face Derman it's ridiculous."

"You want me to take Rizzo's place when he has a kid he's never met?"

"No dumbass, I want you to take my place."

Phoenix shook his head. "You need to buy your house and that doesn't happen overnight. Save your breath and just buy your ticket for back home. I'm going to inform Master Guns."

The next two weeks went by fairly quickly and before Phoenix knew it his buddy was on the helo back to base. Master Guns had came to the Sergeants again later that week to inform the that the deployment would be extended another three weeks.

Finally off shift Phoenix picked up the phone holding it in between his shoulder and ear hovering over the square numbers. Closing his eyes he dialed the number exhaling as it began to ring.

"Why on earth is there an out of state number calling me?" Pritchett joked.

"Deployment got extended another three weeks. Master Guns told us a few weeks after you and Rizzo left."

"Damn man."

"Yeah. Thought I'd call you and let you know that I won't be back for awhile and try not to find a new roommate back in the barracks."

"Please." Prichett scoffed. "I'd find a new roommate in a heartbeat if I had the option."

"I appreciate the honesty." Phoenix deadpanned. "How'd the house searching go? Did you find a place?"

"I did. A real nice two story place that I can get within the next two months. I don't want to leave my house empty until February so I had a friend from home put out an ad for potential roommates."

"What if you get a chick that has a fetish for military men?"

"I specifically told him only male applications are going to be accepted. I don't have time for emotional women. I don't know though . . . You're a pretty emotional creature yourself."

"Shut up." They both laughed. "But congrats on find a place to call home. Enjoy the silence of our room while you can."

"Derman?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you tried yet?"

"Haven't even thought about it."

"I don't know who you're trying to fool but it isn't me Nick . . . Call her . . . Tonight."

: > : < : > : < :