Chapter 2

"Hi, I'm Gerard," I said when the new kid sat beside me.

"Frank," he said quietly, not looking up.

"This is Jamia," I said. "We were wondering if maybe you wanted to sit with us at lunch."

"We usually need a third party to settle disputes," Jamia said.

"She's joking, we just wanna hang out with you," I said.

Frank was quiet and it seemed like he was debating what to say. Why would he choose to just not talk to anyone?

"Okay," he finally said.

Frank looked up at me and I felt my heart skip a beat when I saw his pretty green eyes again.

"You're new here, right?" Jamia asked. "You live down the street from us."

Frank nodded, biting his lip. The bell rang, interrupting our conversation. Not that I really minded, it was just awkward.

But that awkwardness was still settled in later at lunch. I ate quietly, sitting in between both Frank and Jamia.

"Where'd you move from?" I asked.

"Nowhere," Frank said.

I looked at him curiously and he shrugged.

"Like, you know, the middle of nowhere," he said. "Middle of Kansas from a farm."

"You don't look like you're from a farm," I said, glancing over his piercings and tattoos.

"Moved around a lot," he said. "Not originally from a farm."

We waited for him to explain but he didn't say anything.

"We should hang out after school," I said. "Jamia and I usually just hang out at my house and eat food."

"I like food," he said.

"Well then, looks like we're gonna get along really well," Jamia said.

I saw a small smile spread over Frank's lips and I couldn't help but grin.

"It's settled then," I declared. "We're gonna go back to my house and hang out."

Frank nodded and I smiled.

"You have such cool tattoos," I said. "Your parents let your get them?"

"Yeah, my mom does," he said.

"Do you have divorced parents?" Jamia asked and he nodded. "My parents are divorced too, I know what it's like to have to split christmas' and birthdays."

"I-I don't really see my dad anymore at all," he mumbled. "He left when I was young."

"Awe, I'm sorry," Jamia said.

He just shrugged, brushing it off.

"Not a big deal," he mumbled. "I hardly remember him. All I remember is the one time he took me to the zoo and I dropped my ice cream and cried."

I snorted and I saw the way a soft blush spread over his face. Lunch ended and I walked back to class. The day went by pretty fast, it usually does at the beginning of the year.

"So," I mumbled as I walked into my house.

We grabbed some food and went up to my room.

"So, Frank, What are your deepest and darkest secrets?" Jamia asked.

Frank looked panicked and she chuckled.

"I'm joking," she said.

I held the bag of chips out to him and he looked down at his gloved hands. He seemed to be debating before finally eating chips with his gloves on,getting dust on  the cloth.