Prologue

It was a dark and rainy Halloween night in the middle of Oregon. The hospital was mostly empty, minus the few kids who suffered broken bones from their adventurous nights out trick or treating and hiding in trees to try and scare little kids, only to fall out of them and suffer the consequences. It was dark and empty but the little box tv in the corner of the lobby still played the news. The receptionist had even dressed up as a little mouse for Halloween. She had to keep her uniform on but had the ears and makeup to go with her costume.

She sat now at the desk, a sudoku in her hand. She was careful not to mess up for if she did she would ruin the whole thing. After all, she was using a pen and she decided that scribbling things out ruined the whole aesthetic. So she took her time, counting up to nine over and over again until she finished her puzzle and then she dared to flip to the back to try one of the expert ones.

One of the on call nurses walked into the lobby with two cups of coffee. She gave one to the receptionist before sitting beside her, staring off out the window at the rain that was pattering down. She wished she could just be home right now taking her kids out trick or treating before putting them to bed. But it was late and they were young so they should already be asleep.

Everyone in the hospital hated working on the holidays and although Halloween wasn't necessarily a big family Holiday, it meant a lot to their kids and none of them wanted to be away from the adorable little babies dressed as princesses and superheroes. But it was dead here, as it always is on holidays. These times were always the worst because it was so empty here that here was really no point in being here at all.

But it seemed to give them both heart attacks when the door burst open and a woman came in screaming. She was accompanied by her husband, the two of them dressed head to toe in matching Fred and Wilma flintstones costumes. The woman's stomach was round, bursting with life that was going to be expected soon.

"Help me, my wife is having a baby," the man said.

They hurried over and got her into a wheelchair, bringing her into a room.

"Alright, we're just gonna see how dilated you are," the nurse said. "Page the doctor."

"No, no," The lady sobbed. "The baby's coming now!"

After a quick examination they realized she was right, she was about to have a baby. They hurried her to a delivery room and she threw her wig down onto the ground as they went. she sobbed, the excruciating pain was something of torture.

The doctor rushed in just in time. The baby was coming with or without a doctor. The lights began to flicker and the table in the corner covered in instruments began to rattle. The woman's screams grew louder as they baby came. The lights blew out just as the doctor got the baby in his arms, all of them submerged in darkness. Cupboards blew open and their contents spilled out.

"It's a boy," the doctor said, trying to stay positive despite the fear evident inside him. "Nurse, go grab some candles."

It was quiet now, the baby didn't cry as they did the basic tests and cleaned him off. The doctor tried spanking him but he still didn't cry. They checked his lungs but found everything to be perfect. He wrapped the baby up and handed it to the mom, who was crying quietly. She smiled as the baby cooed up at her in the dark.

She knew instantly that he was special. He was unique. He was gonna be different and she was gonna protect him.