When I reached my neighborhood, the sun was already setting. It had started to get dark. I began to feel a bit panicky. I was already late and if John was home, he'd get to enjoy a nice ‘beating-Sya's-ass-till-she-bleeds session’, which I was not up for at all. My eyes fell on the entrance to the alleyway that could possibly get me home faster than the time it could take me to go round the streets. Although, I had never used it before. Simply because it always scared me. It was dark and isolated even during the daytime. Not to forget, it was super creepy.

I can make it in time if I go through here today. But it's dark there! What if something happens? No Sya! Nothing can be worse than John getting angry.  So, just take that route for today. Yeah, only for today.

I debated with myself but then hesitantly, I stepped inside the dark alley. I was already scared and regretting stepping in. But now I had to stick to my decision. I increased my pace to get out of there as soon as possible and with each step my heartbeat was also speeding up. I felt as if something bad was about to happen. 

I was halfway to the exit when suddenly, out of nowhere, a man appeared in front of me. I gasped and took a couple of steps back on impulse. The sun had completely set and it was completely dark now. He stood there blocking my path with his slightly wide form.
Who is he? And why is he coming towards me with that scary smile?

I wanted to run. To scream. But my legs refused to even move. It was as if I'd been cemented to the ground. The man began to walk towards me with that sinister smile still plastered on his face and his eyes unusually glowing. He lunged at me and grabbed me by the arm. I screamed and tried to pry my arm out of his grasp but he held on so tight, like steel, that my arm was beginning to get numb.

What is he going to do to me? I thought, frantically trying to pull away. I caught the sight of his eyes and felt my defenses weakening. Those eyes were the scariest of anything I'd ever seen.

So cold. So lifeless. So dead.

Suddenly, a gush of air blew near me and the next moment, the man literally flew through the air and hit the dumpster, falling with it. Another guy was standing in front of me instead. Where'd he come from?

His back was to me as he stood staring at the dude he’d just knocked to the ground. The guy on the ground was now whimpering and he looked so scared. He jumped up and ran out of there so fast.

It all happened so fast, I couldn't comprehend what happened at all. The only way I could tell it did happen was by looking at the knocked-over dumpster lying on the ground. Before I realized it, tears were already streaming down my face and a whimper escaped my lips. The man, my savior, turned around and it was Kane.

The Kane from school.

His face was contorted into the scariest scowl you could ever seen on him. As soon as he saw me, though, his eyes softened and he wrapped his arms around me. To say I was scared would be an understatement. I was beyond terrified and now completely bawling into Kane Wilson's chest. Gripping his t-shirt like my life depended on it.

The warmth and safety Kane's arms had provided me just urged me to cry even more and pretty soon, I was crying about everything. Because of my parents leaving me, because of my aunt's behavior, because of my bad luck, because of my loneliness, because of everything. It was as if all the sadness and sorrow that was inside of me had reached its limits and I just burst out. I had lost control of my tear ducts.

After sometime when my cries died down, which felt like an eternity, Kane pulled away from me and looked at me. Concern was evident on his face. It felt strange because it was new for me to feel safe in a stranger's presence.