11. The alpha male

Start from the beginning

"Dev?"

A meek call broke out of my choked throat as my feet took me to the person who didn't even notice me coming.

-"You?" He turned back now. His eyes immediately displayed a tinge of surprise and a bigger pool of sorrow, all at the same time.

His pain, mirrored into mine, gave another pang in my heart and my guts almost clenched under its affects.

"You are smoking?!!"

-"Seems like that only." He laughed bitterly, looking at the half burnt cigarette piece in his hand.

"Smoking is injurious to health... And you being a cardiologist, should have known this better than others!"

In response, he just turned back to the other side and puffed his lungs with further bouts of smoke.

"Since when have you taken smoking, Dev?" I probbed again.

-"Thats none of you business." He exhaled a perfect smoke ring into the air.

"Yeah..sorry." I chuckled sarcastically and turned away from him. The dark blue hues of the ocean, merging with the pitch black of the night sky came to my view then and it got me almost mesmerized. However, I shook my head and slightly tilted it backwards to say to Dev- "Aren't you coming to the room?"

He remained silent for some time. Few more smoke rings popped out of his mouth inbetween. Finally after making me wait for two good minutes, he cared to reply- "Do you want me to come to that room?"

"Are you planning to stay in Priyanka's room?" I muttered sharply.

He looked back at me the moment I finished my sentence. Not to mention, those looks that he bestowed weren't simple at all and were literally devilish glares, quite capable to succumb me down to ashes.

However, nothing of that sort happened as he quickly removed his gaze, tapped the remains of his the cigarette against the iron railings and marched towards our room with me following him behind just like a helpless, scared kitten.

Such pathetic of me! Duh!!

-"You wanted to talk?" He asked disinterestedly, once we reached our room.

"Hmm." I nodded agreeing. I had no idea how he understood that I wanted to talk with him. But nevertheless, he had just easend my work and I quickly jumped to proceed with it further. "You aren't staying with Priyanka?" I enquired curiously.

He rolled his tongue over his jaws and replied me gritting- "I would have better stayed with Adit."

Oh. A satisfactory sigh escaped my lips.

-"....I wasn't dying to be touchy with another woman, you know" he added next.

"You meant it in the other way..that I was being touchy with other men for the sake of pleasure.... isn't it Dev?" And my mouth fell open with this.

-"I never said anything like that!" He shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"But you meant that only!" A sudden lump of hatred got accumulated in my throat. "Its so sick of you Dev! I can't believe that you have stooped so low!!... You think about your wife like this!! Chi...disgusting!!"

-"First of all, I really didn't say anything like that.. and secondly, IF YOU CAN DO SUCH THINGS THEN WHY CAN'T I SAY THE SAME?" He blabbed in a high, yet controlled voice, taking care that his baby didn't get wake up.

"I can do such things? What things are you talking about, Dev? What did I do??"

-"As if you know nothing!" He rolled his eyes in amusement, which turned into sarcasm the very next moment. "Right... Why will you know anything? You are too 'naive' and 'innocent' for all these na!"