One Shot: Evangeline's Advice

(SOft

I was reading Hunting Prince Dracula and I thought this scene was so beautiful so cOUGh idea stolen)

"I didn't realize you liked reading."

Your head pops up, eyes blinking as you get your fantasy world out of your head. You had spent all evening in your chambers, relaxing by your desk and letting your bookshelf steal your thought process. You and Maven hadn't spoken, Wren had taken with Ptolemus, and Samson was intent on making your time in the palace as miserable as ever.

Your heart warms as a servant set down a covered tray, Evangeline taking place on your bed. Whatever she had ordered to get brought in smelled divine. As the servant takes their leave you sit by Evangeline's side, placing a small hand on her shoulder. She gives a small smile, looking at you the same way she has been for the last twenty years.

"I asked them to make something special, something exotic for my favorite friend." She pulls the silver lid from the dish to reveal a half a dozen palm-sized pies. You immediately take one in your hands, smiling at Evangeline.

"How interesting, no fork and knife for the noble Eve. Eating with your hands must be so common."

"It'll certainly be a new experience." 

You take a bite, delightful flavors tingling your tongue. Even with the Red intention, the Silver touch of seasonings remained apparent. 

"This is delicious."

"I thought you'd like it. I bring a serving of them when I visit Elane. Her appetite is almost as hearty as Ptolemus's." Evangeline's smile fades only slightly, but she never finds himself frowning. You understand as you are also saddened by her engagement to Maven. It deems unfair, at most. And you would much rather take her place then let her suffer like this. You know for a fact Maven feels the same.

"Elane has always had quite an appetite," you humor, "Nobles were scandalized. She never seemed to mind."

The slight smile was gone, replaced by a small prideful look. You find yourself smiling along with her.

You ate in a soft silence. You often gaze at Evangeline's face as he scans your room, she compares it to yours as a child. It's still the same, bland and matching your colors of blue and green. You were grateful for her delicate presence. 

You ate your third stuffed bread in pieces, mimicking the certain way Maven often eats treats. You think about the last time you've given him an edible gift. To stop these thoughts, you open your mouth.

"I often think about if I'll ever get a life with Maven, given how conflicting our lives have grown to be." You start, "Do you ever get concerned about a future between you and Elane being impossible?"

"I don't think about the future when I can't predict tomorrow. A number of things might occur. It might bring us together. It may tear us apart." She lifts her chin, giving you a small, prideful smile. "Yes?"

"Surely you have already thought about all possible futures. With our forbidden lovers, our futures should be the main concern."

"I'll be concerned where the concern is needed. You need to follow your heart. You know Maven loves you back, so everything will be pleasant on your behalf. If you love him today, it's worth savoring for a lifetime. You never know when he might be taken from you."

You stiffen at her ramble, biting your lip. Her advice about love has and will always rock your mind. It's one of your favorite things about her.

"You and I are quite the serious duos, Evangeline Samos. Between my books and your beautiful words, I can never predict what our encounters will conclude with."

She laughs, leaning into your silky pillows. 

"Certainly, (Y/N) Osanos, quite certainly."