3

He gulped hard as the realisation hit him, she was closer than ever now. Molly stared at Amy "Oh you know each other?" She already knew the answer and it was hard to hide the disappointment "Amy this is Molly. She's our medic and apparently our neighbour. Molly this is Amy, my girlfriend" his tone was icy "Ah Molly. So lovely to meet you properly and put a name to the face and a face to the name"

She wanted the ground to swallow her up "Nice to meet you too. Anyway, I'll let you get on. This numpty needs to rest" Charles gave her a grateful nod "Goodnight Boss" he wrapped his arm around Amy's waist "Night Dawes"

She shuffled dejectedly, although she wasn't sure why. He wasn't hers anymore, hadn't been for a really long time and now things were beyond impossible. She was met by Smurf, his eyes firmly on Charles "Cosy" he sneered. She rolled her eyes and pushed passed him, sighing at the thought of the night that lay ahead.

Charles slammed the door closed behind him. Now haunted by what he had let happen to her night after night. Haunted by the fact the he was up shit creek when it came to the women in his life past and present. "I need a beer" he announced but Amy had already uncapped one.

"Charles you're as white as a ghost! Has it been a bad day?" He closed his eyes tightly as anxiety tightened his chest "You have no fucking idea".

-OG-

"Everything alright Dawes? You look tired" Major Morley closed the door behind him "Fine thank you sir. What can I do for you?"

"I just wanted to check how Captain James is doing, make sure he's not over doing it. I've noticed he no longer seeks any treatment from you?"

Molly closed the report she was writing "Honestly Sir he's doing fine. You'd barely know he'd been injured, he's worked really hard on his fitness and it's paid off" Morley accepted her word "Well that's great news Dawes. Do you think he's up to par for possible deployment?" She nodded, excited at the prospect of going on tour "I do Sir. I'd say he's back to full fitness"

She felt fiercely loyal to Charles despite the fact he barely spoke to her since he discovered they were neighbours. He'd kept things strictly professional even though Amy was hell bent on making Molly her new best friend.

Molly felt guilty for keeping her at arms length but there was too much on the line for both her and Charles.

Smurf had taken the news of their new neighbour particularly badly and if she was honest, she was deeply unhappy at her situation which was becoming more volatile by the day, spending time with Amy was going to cause more trouble than it was worth. Most nights she was scared to go home and yearned for his company. She often found herself making herself busy with things that didn't concern her around the barracks, further catching the eye of Bone's and opening herself up to him trying to spend time with her.

Guilt filled Charles' belly as he filed the paperwork to transfer her. Professionally he was doing her a massive disservice but he wasn't comfortable spending everyday fighting his feelings for her. He was becoming increasingly concerned about her home situation too. Every night ended in some kind a argument, well on Smurf's part anyway and Charles quite often found her seeking peace when he put the bins out or was coming in late. He felt guilty that he hadn't stepped in, Amy was pushing for him too but he knew Molly and he didn't feel she would appreciate his interference in her relationship after how he'd hurt her.

He closed the door to the medics room silently, almost creeping up on her, keen not to be seen by Smurf who always seemed to be lurking "Jesus boss you nearly gave me a Julius" he smiled at her awkwardly, again pondering if he was doing the right thing "What can I do for you?" She placed her hand on his arm as she ushered him towards the bed and he couldn't help it, it felt good.