8 | What It Takes

The doors to the throne room slammed open startling the servants within, the only ones who kept their composure were the King and Queen

The doors to the throne room slammed open startling the servants within, the only ones who kept their composure were the King and Queen. The king seemed to have been expecting the person who was storming into the room.

"Taehyung, you have returned." The king walked down the steps and placed his hands on his son's shoulders. He moved aside when the queen joined them and she pulled her son into her arms.

"I'm so glad you're safe." His mother began to weep and guilt began to spread in the prince's chest.

"I'm sorry to have worried you, mother, father." He bowed cordially towards them and then stood up straight. "There is something I want to know."

"What is it?"

"Where is the girl? The one who allegedly kidnapped me? I know she's here!" he demanded and stood back up in exasperation.

"We sent her to the dungeons and she is awaiting her trial," the king replied.

"Trial? But the accusations against her are false! I was lost when I first arrived at the town and she was the only one who helped me. She gave me food, shelter, and was my friend!" His bangs covered his eyes and his fists were clenched by his sides, his nails almost breaking the skin. "This is unjust! She did nothing wrong."

"We know, son." His mother forced him to sit back down and laid a comforting hand on his arm.

"You know? And you're still keeping her locked up?! She's seriously ill and close to death. How can you keep her locked up in a place such as that?" He was slowly becoming hysterical and couldn't help but to raise his voice at his parents.

"How would it look if the king and queen were lenient in times such as these? We need the citizens of this kingdom to see that nothing goes unpunished. She might not have done what they accused her of, but she kept you away from the palace. That could also be considered a crime." The king appeared adamant in what he was saying.

"That's bullshit! I'm the one who ran away. And I'm the one who stayed there and didn't come back here. All she did was help me and this is how she is treated? I'm glad I ran away from this place and the only reason I'm back is to save her. Once she is free, I'm leaving."

He stormed out of the room and raced to the dungeons.

"Is it ok to let him go?" The queen looked worriedly at her husband.

"Just leave him be. He'll realise one day what it takes to rule a kingdom. This is just a phase, one that he will need to quickly get over."