3 | Night At The Tavern

He stretched out on the bed and felt comfortable for the first time in forever

He stretched out on the bed and felt comfortable for the first time in forever. At home, there was always someone keeping a close eye on him, and there were so many rules he had to abide by; that's why he had left. Who knew living with your own free will could be so sweet?

His eyes had only just drifted closed when he heard a commotion outside. Throwing back the blankets, he tiptoed over to the door and opened it a little, just enough for him to see outside.

The girl from before was pitifully slumped on the ground, dirty clothes spread all around her. Her stepsister was stood in the doorway of what he presumed was her room, her whole demeanour haughty.

"Hurry up and wash those. I have a date with one of my suitors tomorrow and I have to look my best." Without waiting for the girl to speak, she slammed the door of her room.

The girl sat for a moment and appeared to not want to move. Then her expression changed to one of anger as she glared at her stepsister's door. Taehyung watched as she mocked her sister and he couldn't help but laugh.

She had heard him and her head was now turned in his direction. Her glare softened when she saw that it was the handsome man from earlier that day.

"I'm sorry, you've seen something disgraceful." She quickly got to her feet and bowed. Brushing down her dress, she avoided his gaze.

He was now standing in front of her, an amused expression graced his features. "Yes, that behaviour was certainly disgraceful..."

"..." the girl blanked and raised her head, her mouth gaping.

"Is your stepsister always like that? How can she treat someone as kind as you like that?"

"We've only known each other for less than a day, so how do you know I'm kind?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Did you know that your eyes are the window to your soul? Well, when I look into your eyes all I see is kindness. Plus earlier you could've kept my purse for yourself, but you returned it to me instead. And you offered me a place to stay and allowed me into your home. You are kind."

"Th-thanks." She tucked her hair behind her ear and red painted her cheeks, making her even cuter. "And don't worry about my sisters. I can handle them. Besides, I'm used to it."

Anger bubbled within him at her words and he snapped, "that isn't something you should get used to. Nobody deserves to be treated like that. You're supposed to be a family."

"On the outside, it might appear like that, but that's not the reality. To them, I'm nothing more than a servant girl, an inconvenience." She gathered up the washing and once again she was avoiding his gaze. Had he upset her? "Thank you for your concern, sir. Things around here are always the same and will forever be like that. It's best to just leave well alone. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go wash these."

She bowed as best she could with the washing weighing her down and left.

Did he say something wrong?