7 | By My Side

"Tae

"Tae..." A croaky voice awoke him from a restless sleep. He abruptly sat up and smiled in relief when he saw Soo Yun awake. Her weary eyes blinked several times, and she fought to stop her eyelids from dropping.

"No, don't go back to sleep. You have to stay awake. Do you want water? Or is there anything else I could do for you?"

Before hearing her answer, he helped her sit up against the fluffed up pillows and brought a glass of water to her lips. She took a sip and coughed when the cold liquid hit her scratchy throat.

He stroked her back till her coughing fit was over and he helped her lay back down. Like he did the night before he tucked the covers around her, and then sat in the armchair he had previously occupied.

"There is one thing you could do for me," she said and turned her head so she could see him clearly. "Stay by my side."

"I can do that." His face lit up with his boxy smile, and he leaned on the side of the chair, his arm bent underneath his head. With the other, he held her hand in his, and for a while they sat in silence, just marvelling in the company the other brought.

Hammering fists at the door broke the comfortable atmosphere they shared and startled them both.

"PRINCE TAEHYUNG WE KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE, COME OUT NOW!" a voice bellowed through the wooden door and the windows shook in their frames.

"Prince?" The ill girl on the bed forgot her pains and sat up, her head tilting to the side.

"Damn, how did they find me?!" He jumped to his feet and dashed to the window. Checking below he saw an awning just underneath the window and it was enough to break his fall.

He ran back to the still confused Soo Yun and put his hands on her shoulders. "I'm sorry for not telling you, but I'll explain everything when we meet again. I'll come back, ok? I'll come back to you. So wait for me, Soo Yun."

He gave her a kiss on the forehead and leapt through the window, landing safely on the awning, he bounced twice and jumped off. Then he chose a direction and sped off, never looking back.

Back in the room, Soo Yun tentatively touched the place on her forehead where he had kissed her and asked out-loud, "Prince Taehyung?"

That was when her door was broken-down and five men rushed inside, followed by her stepsisters and her father. One sister pointed to the bed and exclaimed excitedly, "that's her. She's the one who kidnapped the prince!"

 She's the one who kidnapped the prince!"