Repetition in Sentences

This isn't necessasrily something you can memorize, but it's definitely something to be aware of. 

Chapter Three: Repetition

What do I mean by repetition? Take a look at this and see if you can figure it out. 

I hurried down the stairs, tucking my head down to avoid the chill. I shivered slightly, tucking my arms into the sleeves of my oversized jacket to prevent the chills and goosebumps. The oversized jacket had been a gift from my mom. The day was just getting worse and worse. But I was determined to hurry home and relax in my bed. But first I had to walk all the way home. 

Ok! So things you've probably noticed. 

––The first two sentences start with I and the last two start with but. In general, you really want to avoid starting two senteces in a row with but. 

––Then there is the repetition of words such as chill,hurry, oversized and tucking. The thing is most of these are fine on their own, but together it just sounds silly. So basically what I'm saying is you can't just write your story line by line. Occasionally, you have to read through the whole thing.

I know there wasn't a big trick, but I hope this awakens you and you check your stories.

Recap: It's important to read the whole scene occasionally and not just go line by line. 

xxPeacexx