"Hi! I'm having a party at mine tonight," he began, getting straight to the point, but after hearing my disgruntled sigh, he carried on in a more eager tone, "I know it's not really your scene, but it'll be great! Chris is coming, so you know it'll be fun!" I laughed at this last remark, knowing PJ had had a huge crush on Chris since they met at a Christmas party a few years ago. It almost broke my heart having to drag PJ away from him when it was time to go, but at least they'd exchanged numbers.

"You not going to drop it until I agree, right?" I grumbled, though maybe this wasn't all bad. I'd been spending far too much time inside lately, and maybe it was time to put myself out there again. I'd had a few flings in my time, but surely a twenty something year old like me should be thinking about something long term.

"So?" He asked brightly. I pretended to think for a moment, though I had already come to a conclusion. It was a grumpy huff from his end that pushed me to answer, "fine" I could hear his smug grin from here, but I was smiling along with him.

"Be here at seven" he said quickly before hanging up.

*

I never usually put much thought into what I wore, usually opting for the nearest graphic tee and black skinny jeans. Tonight I kept the jeans, but decided on a dark red button up shirt, thinking this looked like I actually put an effort into my appearance.

The drive to PJ's house was short, but it was even shorter when I was deep in thought, thinking about what kind of drinking games I'd be pulled into. Talking to strangers wasn't my strongest skill, either, but if I stuck around with PJ, it'd be fine, but I didn't want him to think I was being clingy.

"Glad you could make it!" PJ exclaimed as he met me at my car a little bit away from his house; there were loads of cars there already.

"It's not like you gave me much choice," I laughed, accepting the hug he was offering, "how many people did you invite? I didn't realize you had a social life outside of our friendship"

He chose to ignore this remark, instead pulling me along behind him towards his house, each step bringing us closer towards the booming music. He practically pushed me through the door, handing me a drink and running off, leaving me in the middle of a crowd of strangers.

"Thanks Peej" I mumbled, taking a sip out of the cup, but recoiling immediately when met by the taste of incredibly strong alcohol. Was he trying to poison me? And what crappy music was this? Everyone was bobbing along, but I couldn't name the song for the life of me. Refusing to stand in the midst of this chaos, I elbowed my way through the ever increasing crowd of drunken people, making my way towards the garden, and by the time I finally reached it, I was exhausted, both mentally and physically.

The cool air woke me up considerably, though, and this drove me to find a somewhat quiet corner of the garden, and I ended up in a chair that seemed to be falling apart under me. I sat there on my own, observing the wild animals that were extremely drunk young adults, until a quiet voice interrupted.

"Phil?" I looked up at the source of the familiar voice, carrying the same timidity it did before, though with a new maturity about it. Staring back at me with his wide chocolate coloured eyes, was Dan, the boy I'd lost contact with for whatever reason. I stood up suddenly, discarding my drink on the floor so I could pull him into a tight embrace. He didn't pull back, but I did when I realized maybe I was coming on too strong.

"Sorry" I said, smiling, sitting back down and gesturing for him to take the seat next to me.

"Don't be, it's good to see you, too!" He beamed, his eyes not once leaving mine. The last time I'd seen him, he'd taken to straightening his hair every day, and though I never told him I didn't like it, I still preferred his natural hair. He must have realised this himself, as here he was, embracing the curls.