Empress Suiko- 推古

Empress Suiko is known as the first reigning empress of Japan, rather than just an empress consort. She is credited for introducing Buddhism to Japan (it was the religion her family, the Sogas practiced), making it a major religion and increasing the Chinese influence in Japan. Some other names she's known by are: Toyo-mike Kashikaya-hime, in her youth she was called Nukuda-be & later as empress she was called, Suiko-Tenno.

Suiko was born in 554, in Yamato. Her father was Emperor Kinmei and her mother was Soga no Iname's daughter, Kitashi-hime. She had two brothers who also became emperors, Yomei & Sushun. When she was 18, Suiko became the empress-consert to her half-brother, Emperor Bidatsu, who reigned from 572-85. When Bidatsu's first wife died, Suiko became his official wife and was given the title, Okisaki (the main wife of the emperor). Together the couple had 2 sons and three daughters.

After a brief reign of two years, Emperor Yomei, died of illness & interclan warfare broke out between the Soga and Mononobe clans, over the succession. The Soga's were behind Prince Hatsusebe (Sushun) and the Mononobe's were behind Prince Anahobe. The Soga's prevailed and Hatsusebe ascended to the throne as Emperor Sushun, in 587. However Suiko's uncle, Soga no Umako, a powerful court official, began to fear Sushun's resentment towards the growing power of the Soga clan, so Umako had him assassinated in 592. Suiko was asked to accede to the throne, to avoid a power struggle. She is recognized as the 33rd emperor of Japan, according to the traditional line of success; she was the first empress of a new Japan, it's new name was, Nippon. Suiko reigned for 35 years & was the first woman to become regent. There were 7 more female regents who came after her: Kogyoku (594-661), Jito, Genmei (707-15), Gensho (715-24), Koken (749-58), Meisho (1629-43) & Gou Sakuramachi (1762-71). 

Yomei's second son, Shotoku (another of Umako's nephews) was appointed co-regent, the following year. As regent, she administered government which was unheard of for a woman in her position at the time. Though Shotoku and Umako are considered to have held the most sway at the time, Suiko was far from powerless. For example, when Suiko refused to grant Umako the imperial territory, than known as Kazuraki no Agata, in 624, is cited as a clear indicator of her independence from his influence. 

Some of Suiko's greatest achievements during her reign were: the official introduction of Buddhism via the passing of the Flourishing 3 Treasures Edict (594), the beginning of relations with China's Sui court (600), the introduction of 12 Level Cap System for court etiquette & adoption the 17-article constitution (604): this was Japan's first constitution but not in the sense of the modern definition of the word. It said things like, civil servants must obey imperial commands carefully, must not be greedy or gluttonous and all cases must be treated fairly and without prejudice. Abstain from anger. The three refuges (the three gems or triple gem) of Buddhism were used as models for the moral truth of the state. The Constitution is credited with unifying Japan, before it had been more of a tribal or clan culture. It is believed by some that the empress may have not directly commissioned the publishing of the constitution, but it contained ideas she and other members of court put forward.

Three key leaders: Empress Suiko, Soga Iruka & Shotoku Taishi, were avid supporters of Buddhism. During her reign several temples were built including, Horyuji, the oldest wooden building in the world, that is still standing today. Suiko also commissioned copper images of the Buddha. She actively employed Korean Buddhist monks & scholars, who were also well educated on Chinese culture, therefore creating a new culture that came to be known as Asuka culture, that was based on Japanese cultural heritage.

Empress Suiko died on April 15, 628. At a time when successors were determined by clan leaders, not the emperor, Suiko only vaguely left hints to two potential successors on her deathbed. One was Prince Tamura, was the grandson of Emperor Bidatsu and was supported by the main branch of the Soga clan. The other was Prince Yamashiro, the son of Prince Shotoku and had the support of lesser members of the clan. After a brief struggle, in which one of Yamashiro's main supporters was killed, Prince Tamura ascended to the throne as Emperor Jomei, in 629.

Sidenotes:

E. Kinmei- Kimmei was the 29th emperor of Japan and reigned between the years of 537-71 AD.

E. Sushun- Sushun was the 32 emperor of Japan and reigned from 587-92.

Soga no Iname- a leader of the Soga clan and a statesman during the reign of E. Kinmei.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Empress_Suiko