Taytu Betul- ጣይቱ ብጡል

Born Taytu Betul Hayle Maryam in about 1850-51, possibly in Mahdere, Begemder, Ethiopia. Her father, Betul Haile Maryam, was a high ranking member of Semien nobility, which traditionally lived in northwestern Ethiopia. Her family also claimed descent from Emperor Susneyos. Taytu was the youngest of 3 children, she had an older brother & sister. Her father, Betul, died in battle just a few years after his youngest daughter's birth. Her mother remarried an administrator of the Debre Mewi monastery. This is likely where she received her early education, which was highly unconventional for Ethiopian women at the time. She could read & write Amharic & she understood the ancient Ethiopian language of Ge'ez, which was used in sacred Christian texts handed down over the centuries. Taytu also enjoyed writing poetry, playing chess & playing the begenna (lyre).

Like many girls during the 19th century, Taytu was married off a young age. At the tender age of 10, she was married to an army officer serving under Empeor Tewodros II. Though Ethiopia was a patriarchal society, it was common for women to marry multiple times or take a series of lovers. Taytu's first marriage was short-lived, after her husband was arrested for a minor offence by Tewodros' men. The newlywed Taytu was forced to follow on foot & in chains. She married a second time in 1881-82 to Kenyaz-mach Zikargatchew, he was the brother of one of Menelik II of Shoa's consorts. Kenyaz-mach was an abusive husband; so after a particularly violent incident, Taytu stated she was going to visit her mother, when she left she took a good portion of her husband's property & servants with her. As she had already greatly profited from the separation, Taytu never officially divorced Kenyaz-mach.

She married 4 more times in her lifetime, despite being unable to bear children she was still considered a desirable match due to her beauty & family ties. Her 5th & final marriage was to Sahlé Maryam (the future Emperor Menelik II), in April 1883. Upon her marriage to Sahlé, Taytu became queen of Shoa. Sahlé would spend most of his life defying the Ethiopians to maintain his state's independence. In 1855, Tewodros II declared himself emperor of Ethiopia and took control of the central area of the country where Menelik lived. For the next decade, Menelik was held captive in Tewodros' court; he finally escaped in 1865 & was again declared king of Shoa.

Alongside his wife, Menelik made Shoa one of Ethiopia's most powerful states, forging alliances with Europeans, particularly the Italians & the French, as well as other states within Ethiopia. In 1889, after the death of Emperor Yohannes, Menelik proclaimed himself emperor. Both Taytu & Menelik shared a vision to modernize the empire & Taytu had become one of his most valuable advisors. One of the couple's first big moves was to establish a new capital city, Addis Ababa, in 1886, on a site Taytu herself chose; paved roads & modern bridges connected the city to the rest of the empire. During Menelik's reign, the tax system was reformed, a new national currency & postal system was created & railways were laid down. Menelik also advocated for secular education, established a medical care system & government owned press. By the beginning of the 20th century, telephone & telegraph lines spanned the country & a national bank helped to boost the economy by backing new businesses.

But many governing factions vied for power, which kept Taytu constantly prepared to defend her husband's interests. Once when Menelik was away fighting a battle, Taytu received correspondence from the army of Weldya, capital of neighboring Yejju; the letter stated how the city was about to be overcome by an invading force led by King Zegeye. As most of their army was away fighting alongside her husband, Taytu decided to make a show of force & sent 300 gunmen to Weldya with the message, "Take care that no dissension explodes between me and you. As for Zegeye, if I should hear that you permitted him to enter and govern Yejju, or even if I learn that you allowed him to drink water in Yejju from his cupped hand, we will become, you and I, mortal enemies." In spite of being divided between the looming threat of the rebels & the intimidation of the formidable empress, the army of Weldya rallied & successfully turned back the tide of rebels, even capturing a few of them.

In 1889, Menelik signed a treaty with Italy called the Treaty of Ucciali, there were 2 drafts one in Italian and the other in Amharic. Menelik only later realized that the Italian version made Ethiopia an Italian territory. This would needless to say be a great point of contention, as Ethiopia had no desire to cede power to the Italians. Even when Menelik II declared war on Italy, they remained undaunted, bolstered by the fact Europeans had been largely victorious against native African forces for centuries. But they gravely underestimated their opponents, Ethiopia had a dry & mountainous geography, which provided a distinct advantage to those who knew it well. As Menelik had also used his alliances with various groups to increase his stock of modern weaponry, this also allowed the Ethiopian forces to meet the Italians on a more level playing field. The Ethiopians also had a much larger fighting force of 100,000, while the Italians only had 17,000.

In January 1896, Menelik decided to confront the Italian garrison stationed at Adigrat Fort. The assault was an utter disaster, as the Italians fired projectiles over the Ethiopians from the fort which sat at the top of a hill, by the time darkness fell, roughly 500 Ethiopians lay dead. After the failed attack on the fort, Taytu who'd accompanied her husband, suggested they cut off the fort's water supply, since they couldn't breach the gates. On January 9, 900 of the queen's men crept down into the ravine outside the fort & dammed up the stream that supplied water to the fort, before retreating a safe distance. By January 18, the Italian Major Galliano, sent out a plea for reinforcements. The Italians soon surrendered & there were no further casualties.

Taytu remained by Menelik's side during the last campaign against Italian troops in early spring. On March 1, 1896, the Battle of Adwa began. Taytu was in charge of the defensive forces around the battle's perimeters, which were made up of her own army of 5000 men. She also knew more than weapons would be needed to win this war, so she ordered a group of women to collect & fill as many water jugs as they could get; Taytu had them provide crucial food & water to the soldiers & help treat the wounded. This proved a brilliant strategy as Ethiopia had a very arid, desert-like climate. Once fighting started, Taytu is said to have rallied her troops with the words, "Courage! Victory is ours! Strike!". The Ethiopian cannons fired constantly, eventually succeeding at breaking through Italian lines. By noon the battle was over with heavy losses on both sides. Taytu is said to have returned to her tent and collapsed with tears streaming down her face.

The Italians resounding defeat at the Battle of Adwa made international headlines, photographs of Menelik II & Taytu were splashed across the front pages of numerous publications all over the world. Though many of the stories about the empress were heavily fictionalized like how she bathed in the blood of virgins, accused her of ordering the mutilation of Italian prisoners & even instigating the war in the first place. Very few outsiders viewed Taytu Betul as a patriot fighting for her country.

In the years after the battle, Taytu consolidated her power by making marriage alliances & receiving land grants. Many have accused her of nepotism as they believed that "nearly half of Ethiopia is in the hands of her relatives". She also made sure her army was kept well armed, clothed & fed. Taytu's ever-growing power didn't go unnoticed by the international community, as she was observed to hold sway within her own borders more than most other monarchs of the time. She was also more mistrustful of the increasing amount of foreigners in Addis Ababa, who sought to make new alliances & business deals. Nonetheless, thi more calculated negotiating also served to benefit the empire & earned it the respect of the international community.

Menelik II suffered a cerebral hemorrhage (brain bleed) in 1906. Although he survived, his physical health permanently suffered, requiring Taytu to take on more responsibilities as regent. On October 27, 1909, Menelik had a 2nd stroke which left him paralyzed; this began a battle of succession as Menelik didn't have any official heirs. In 1908, Menelik had appointed his grandson, Iyasu V but later appointed a new regent, Tessema Nadew. But Taytu wasn't ready to relinquish power, so she tried to have one of her own relatives placed on the throne. When Menelik II died in 1913, Iyasu was declared emperor & Taytu retired from court life; her plans to maintain power seemingly unsuccessful. However, just 3 years later, Iyasu lost his throne & was succeeded by Taytu's preferred successor, Zewditu, a daughter of Menelik. Haile Selassie, was appointed regent, though this was vehemently opposed by the empress. Her plans once again thwarted, Taytu withdrew from court life for the last time. Taytu Betul died from heart failure on February 11, 1918. Zewditu ruled until her death in 1930, when she was succeeded by Haile Selassie, Ethiopia's last emperor.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/women/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/taytu-c-1850-1918