Begum Hazrat Mahal- بیگم حضرت محل

Born Muhammadi Khanum into a financially struggling family in 1820, in Faizabad, Awadh, India. As a child she was sold into the harem of the Awadh royal family as an khawasin (attendant). The young girl soon caught the eye of Nawab Wajid Ali Shah, the last independent ruler of Awadh. She was soon promoted to pari (fairy), this referred to women who came from disadvantaged backgrounds who were trained & educated in different artistic & performance skills, to entertain the Nawab. The paris were also considered temporary wives of the Nawab. She was given the title "Mahak Pari" (fragrant fairy). Some time later the nawab gave her the name, Iftakar un Nisa & married her; she was his second wife. When she gave birth to her son, Birjis Qadr, heir apparent to the Awadh throne, she was given the title of Begum Hazrat Mahal (royal queen). However like Wajid's other concubines, Hazrat Mahal was later divorced from her husband.

In 1856, Awadh was annexed by the British East India Company; Awadh was a particularly appealing territory as it was rich in cotton & indigo. The British occupied Awadh on the grounds of corruption & inefficient management of the economy by the Awadh government. Nawab Wajid Ali Shah was removed from power & was exiled to Calcutta with some members of his family in March 1856. Hazrat Mahal & other divorced concubines were left behind in Lucknow (now in modern-day Uttar Pradesh). Begum Hazrat Mahal took up the reigns of leadership & the upbringing of her 12 year old son, Prince Birjis Qadr. He was officially declared ruler in Baradari, Qaisebagh & Begum Hazrat Mahal ruled as regent for 10 months.

As a queen from an expansive royal family, she broke down gender barriers & revolted against the British East India Company, along with many other Indian leaders in the Great Mutiny of 1857. During the first war of independence fought against the British, Lucknow was one of the most highly disputed regions in India. Queen Victoria issued a proclamation to transfer governorship of India to the British crown but Begum Hazrat Mahal refused to accept these terms. She rallied the people of Awadh & led a "uniformed peasants rebellion", which expanded to include other members of the populace. Begum Hazrat Mahal was able to deftly inspire loyalty amongst all of her people, which helped establish a greater degree of social equity amongst all castes & religions.

However, maintaining Awadh's sovereignty was never her sole priority, she also wanted liberation for India itself. She is well-remembered for riding into battle astride an elephant, to rally her troops to face the British. One of her most trusted advisors was, Nana Sahib, who was a also childhood friend of Rani of Jhansi. Unfortunately, it wasn't long before the British overtook the rebel forces & captured Lucknow, with the advantage of superior weaponry. Begum Hazrat Mahal refused their offer of a pension & departed from Lucknow. She than joined forces with the Maulavi of Faizabad, together they continued coordinating guerilla attacks on British military bases until November 1859. One of the most notable of these attacks is the Battle of Chinhat, when Sir Henry Lawrence ,the chief commissioner of Awadh, surrendered to the Indian forces.

After she ceased her active participation in the rebellion, Begum Hazrat Mahal sought refuge in Nepal, where she would spend the rest of her life. The prime minister of Nepal, Rana Jang Bahadur, gave her sanctuary, albeit not without a great deal of resistance. She died in 1879 & was buried in Kathmandu, near the Jama Masjid. Over time her grave fell into disrepair before being taken into custodianship of the Jama Masjid Committee.

Her legacy has served to show how she was a superior ruler to her husband. She was an instinctual stateswoman with a knack for military strategy & administration. Some records say her father was a slave & her mother his mistress, though these aren't considered very reliable as so little record of her early life exists. According to oral tradition, the queen was known to have no tolerance for disrespect to her person, dismissing rude audience members when she performed. Her insistence at maintaining self-respect was one of her primary goals throughout her life & reign; she demanded this respect from her court & her enemies alike. Begum Hazrat Mahal is even credited with rallying members of the harem to arm themselves & fight against the British.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/women/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/hazrat-mahal-c-1820-1879

https://feminisminindia.com/2018/03/21/begum-hazrat-mahal-freedom-fighter/