Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut was born in about 1508 BC, she was the only daughter Thutmose I and his queen, Ahmose. She received extensive training and education as preparation for her ascent to the throne. When she was 12, her father passed away and Hatshepsut married her half-brother, Thutmose II. Thutmose's mother was one of Thutmose I's lesser wives. Needless to say, it was common practice during the Egyptian dynasties for royalty to intermarry to keep bloodlines pure. When Hatshepsut and Thutmose married she took on the role of queen and head of the harem.

Thutmose II died 15 years later, making Hatshepsut a widow before she turned 30. She had no sons, only a daughter named, Neferure. The only male child her husband sired, was a baby boy he had with a concubine named, Isis. Since Thutmose III was too young to rule alone, Hatshepsut became regent. She initially assumed the traditional role but for unexplained reasons later took on the mantle of pharoh. Technically, Hatshepsut didn't usurp the throne, as Thutmose III was never dethroned and he remained a co-ruler throughout her life, yet it was made clear that Hatshepsut was the monarch in charge.

At this time she began to have depictions of herself be made with the traditional king's crown and garb, as well as a beard and masculine physique. This wasn't to make people believe she was man but instead to assert authority because at the time there was no way for women to portray themselves with words or images when they were of such high status. Her ability to take on the role of pharoh was so successful because she knew how to choose the ones she kept close to her, many of whom were trusted advisors of her father, Thutmose I. One of her most influential advisors was, Senenmut. He was initially the queen's servant but rose alongside her through the ranks, it has also been speculated by some that Senenmut was her lover.

Under Hatshepsut's reign Egypt prospered, she was more interested in economic stability and restoring old temples and monuments in Egypt and Nubia, than she was in conquering new lands. She is famous for building the temple, Djeser-Djeseru (Holiest of holy places), which she dedicated to the god, Amon. The temple also served as her "funerary cult". In addition, Hatshepsut constructed two granite obelisks at the temple of Amon in Karnak, both aforementioned monuments still stand to this day. Nine years into her reign Hatshepsut made an important journey to the kingdom of Punt, returning with ships full of myrrh, gold and ivory; this scene was immortalized in the paintings on the walls of Djeser-djeseru. Hatshepsut is also the longest reigning female pharaoh in Egyptian history, reigning for 20 years.

Hatshepsut died in early February 1458 BC. Recently it has been theorized that she died because she had been using a salve or cream to alleviate a chronic skin condition. The salve was supposed to have been made with a toxic ingredient, a carcinogen, that over time would have caused the formation of cancer. 

After Hatshepsut's death, Thutmose III, Hatshepsut's stepson and successor attempted to periodically destroy her monuments, erase inscriptions and constructed walls around her obelisks in Karnak, effectively erasing her from memory. While it has long been speculated this was because of an old grudge Thutmose had against Hatshepsut however it's more likely that it was a strictly political move to allow his son, Amenhotep II, to ascend to the throne, without opposition.

Side notes:

Funerary cult- Greek term, refers to when someone passed away and they were "deified" or treated as someone of divine ancestry and worshipped at a designated shrine.

https://www.biography.com/people/hatshepsut-9331094