01. New in Town

Staring out the window, she traced the raindrops as she listened to sad songs

   Staring out the window, she traced the raindrops as she listened to sad songs. It was a new past time of hers, to listen to sad songs and pretend she was the star of the new music video.

   But why would she? Why sad songs? And why is she in a car?

   To recap the last few weeks of her teenage life, she once had a boyfriend who she thought the world of. They had been together for about two years, longer than any of their friends had gone. So what changed?

   Angel Santos had changed. He went from caring and attentive, to harsh and distracted. New things came along, and by new things, a new student had enrolled in their high school. She had sunk her claws in Angel and hadn't loosened them despite finding out he was taken, in fact, she probably tightened her grip.

   They started out as friends and then turned to friends with benefits. Then, to Angel's girlfriend's horror, secretly dating.

   She had to find out from somebody she hated that her boyfriend no longer doted on her. And had doted on the school's new angelic student who could do no wrong.

   She wanted to ruin their lives and told this to her parents. They advised that if she wanted to do something, she had to be discrete about it. Like Angel had been.

   So, with the help of her new best friend, the person who told her about Angel, they ruined his car and his reputation he so carefully built. On her last day, Delilah Hopkins had the journalism club help her out by telling the whole school what the school's sweetheart and her ex-boyfriend did behind her back and closed doors.

   Safe to say, the new student transferred after breaking up with Angel. And since Angel threatened to ruin her life publicly, she had done the same.

   A tap on her shoulder had her removing her headphones, looking towards her eldest cousin, Frankie Hopkins. He had offered her a place at his home with his fiancée, and how could she decline? A chance to be away from Angel and a new start, plus she get to hang out with her cousin. Not a bad deal.

   "Hey, so, you'll get to meet her soon. She's been working on a dinner to wow you and help make sure that you feel welcomed, and all that good stuff." He gave her a lopsided smile, trading his attention from the road and her constantly, not wanting to get into an accident.

   She shifts in her seat, "I would've been fine with just take out or ramen." Frankie threw his hands up but quickly put them back on the wheel.

   "That's what I said! Besides that, I wanted to talk to you about something." He slowly came to a stop on the side of the road. The raindrops started to pound harder against the roof of the truck and against the windows. They sat for a minute in silence, as he gathered the words to say what he needed.

   "No boys, or girls, and no dating. The reason you moved here because a stupid boy fell for a bi- I mean witch's hair twirl. And he was your boyfriend. So, the only thing I'm asking you is no dating. Oh and no smoking weed. Or any other drugs." He let out on one breath so it was a little fast to understand but she got what he meant.