Chapter 30

Haymitch leads me down the stairs to the front door. Effie, my Mother and Megan stand there waiting. Effie stops me before I open the door to make some last minute adjustments to my dress. Flavius adds a hair band and tucks a few strands of hair behind my ears.

"Oh, hang on a minute, I nearly forgot" says Haymitch as he takes off up the stairs.

"Now what's he doing?" I ask

He hurries back down the stairs and goes into the lounge. I can't see him but hear him moving things around. Then he walks past us again and enters the door to the cellar. I frown at Effie but she just shrugs her shoulders at me.

"You can't get married without this" he says as he comes back in the room handing me my Mockingjay pin. I smile at him and kiss his cheek. Effie fixes the pin to my dress.

"Are we ready to go now" I ask no one in particular.

"Okay, out the door on 1,2,3" Effie opens the door and Haymitch leads me by the hand to our front steps. I take in the sight before me. I can't see the victors green for people. Everyone's clapping and cheering as we make our way down the steps across the green to a waiting car. All I can hear from the crowd are lovely comments, "isn't she beautiful" or "god bless you Katniss" I think I might struggle to keep myself together today with this outpouring of affection. Haymitch opens the door and holds my hand as I take my place on the back seat of the car. He shuts the door and he makes his way round to the other side and climbs in. The driver pulls away and I wave to the crowd. I glance behind us to see my Mother, Effie and Megan getting in another car.

"You Okay sweetheart?

"Yeah, it still shocks me sometimes, I feel we're just normal people but the way they seem to love us just amazes me".

Haymitch just smiles at me, taking my hand in his.

It's a short drive to the justice building but we still see people lining the route to the square. When we arrive there's a crowd outside the justice building. Haymitch leads me from the car to the front door and I try to keep waving to everyone. Once inside I take a deep breath.

"Phew, it's crazy out there" I say as I look around the room to see Hazel with Rory, Vick and Posy.

"It's all for you and Peeta, remember that" Haymitch says as Effie and my mother walk in. Effie and my Mom spend a moment sorting out my dress when I feel someone tugging on my arm. I look down and there's Posy, Gale's little sister.

I crouch down to talk to her "Hey, you Okay posy?"

She looks at me shyly.

"I made this for you Katniss", she says as she hands me a daisy chain. She must of spent all morning picking the daisies to make it

"Thank you"

I take it gently trying not to break it but it's not long enough to fit over my head.

"Wait" says my mother as she rearranged it to sit on my head like a crown of daises.

I crouch down again to give Posy a peck on the cheek. She looks so sweet in her little pink dress with matching ribbons in her hair. I stand and take a deep breath. Why am I so nervous? I'm only signing some papers, it's not something fancy like they'd do in the Capitol.

Effie peeks through the crack in the door to make sure everything's ready.

Then she pushes the doors open and I step forward arm in arm with Haymitch. Then I see him. Peeta. Standing in front of the mayors desk with Paylor sat behind. He's dressed as I expected in a white shirt with the top two buttons undone with black trousers and black shoes. Not Capitol clothes, Traditional, just like me.