Chapter 10

Haymitch returns to his room and Peeta and I make our way to the surface.

We stroll around the running track at the training ground. My mind's buzzing at what we've learnt this morning. I can't believe the country is falling into chaos once again, after all the lives that were lost during the war. Some people seem to have very short memories.

"Your very quiet Katniss" Peeta asks

"I'm fine, still shocked I guess at what's happening"

"I'm not happy with you returning as the Mockingjay. Filming Propos is one thing, but going into battle is something else"

"I'm not happy either. I thought we could live the rest of our lives in peace, try to forget the bad times and look to our future, maybe get married, have kids"

Peeta stops in his tracks.

"What's up" I ask as I turn to him

"I didn't think you'd ever want to get married. I mean we've never spoke about it before but I didn't think you were the marrying type"

This comment annoys me slightly, and Peeta can see it in my expression.

But at the same time it gets me thinking. He's right. I've never really been that bothered about marriage. It always seemed to be a useless gesture. If you were already together with someone what difference does it make. But then I think of Peeta, with him it seems so right. Could we really be married, with our kids playing in the meadow by our house?

Peeta looks down at the ground, worried by my expression.

"Hey, it's Okay, you just caught me by surprise that's all" as I step toward him

I put my arms around his waist and look up into his eyes.

"I love you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, the boy with the bread"

He turns to me realising what I've just said.

"Will you marry me Katniss?

I look into his big blue eyes and reply

"Yes"

He scoops me up in his arms and spins me round and round. He's laughing and crying all at the same time.

"Hey, your making me dizzy"

He puts me down and I kiss him hard on the lips. Our tongues meet in utter joy. I can't believe this is happening. In spite of everything else going on in the country I'm blissfully happy.

He pulls away for air, his smile radiant.

"I love you" he says

"I love you too, but if we keep saying it were gonna wear it out" we both laugh and I look around to see Gale standing there. He's heard the whole exchange.

"Congratulations" he says as he reaches out to shake Peeta's hand. Peeta takes it, "thanks Gale" he says awkwardly.

He walks forward and embraces me, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm pleased for you....honestly"

But I can tell from the tone in his voice he's wounded. I'm not sure what I feel right now. Part of me is elated at Peeta and I getting engaged, but I also feel sorry for Gale.

Gale looks to the floor. "I must talk with you, I really need to clear the air".

"Okay", I say. I direct him over to a bench and we sit down. I take Peeta's hand.

"You guys need to understand, I had nothing to do with Prim's death. Yes it was my bomb that was used. But I had no idea they were going to use it in the Capitol."

"But Gale, you designed it, dreamed it up" I say

"Yes I did, but as I said to you at the time, we were working from the same rules Snow used when he hijacked Peeta".

Peeta looks down at his other hand at this comment deep in thought. I smile slightly when I notice the tiny scars on his palm. I gave him these after the interviews for our first games. He'd just declared his undying love for me in front of the whole of Panem and I'd pushed him over in the hallway of our apartment building smashing an urn and cutting his hands.

"You need to realise guys, I had no idea they were going to use it, or ever use it for that matter. And don't forget we were all in the Capitol at the time. You two were in the square outside the mansion. Why would I try to kill the one person I care most about"

"Gale, why wait till now to say this, for two years I've been unsure of you. You promised me you'd take care of my family. And my sister is dead!" I hit back.

Gale leans forward and rests his elbows on his knees, looking at the ground. "I was ashamed Katniss. I'd let you down, my closest friend. I didn't think I'd ever be able to talk to you again. Protecting your family was the only thing I ever had going for me and I'd failed"

Just then the strangest thing happens, it's so sincere it takes my breath away.

Peeta reaches forward and puts his hand on Gale's shoulder, pulling him back upright.

"I believe you Gale" says Peeta

Gale puts his hand on top of Peeta's

"Thanks Peeta" he replies.

I don't know what to think. What Gale said makes sense. It's obvious really when you think about it. He was on my squad, if he hadn't been caught by the peacekeepers he'd of been bombing himself!

"I need to think" I say

"Okay Katniss, thanks for listening anyway. I can't ask for anything more".

Gale gets up and walks back to the elevator, leaving Peeta and I alone on the bench.

"What do you think" asks Peeta

"I don't know what to think"

We get up and stroll back to the elevator. He takes my hand.

"I need to find you a ring" he says changing the subject.

I smile at the thought, the conversation with Gale had put our engagement to the back of my mind.

"Are we going to celebrate?" I ask.

"How, were in 13, they don't really do celebrate here" he laughs

"We can celebrate, just us, in our room"

He smiles, getting my meaning. I want to spend every moment with Peeta while I still can. It won't be long before Plutarch puts together his strategy for me. The Mockingjay.