Chapter Eight

You wrote to Loki every day, and he always responded immediately. You sent your letters through JARVIS, who always knew how to complete tasks such as that.

Today you had something very important to tell Loki. You were carrying his child.

You'd bought a test from the nearest drugstore, and when it came up positive, you'd been excited, terrified, happy, and unsure of what to do next.

So you read up on Asgardian children. Apparently, Midgardian protection methods didn't work on Asgardians. But you could safely carry his child, and you would be able to deliver a healthy baby.

You wrote to Loki right away.

'Dearest Loki-
I have the best news! I'm carrying our child. Apparently our protection methods don't work on Asgardians. My father doesn't know. I'm not planning on telling him any time soon, if I ever tell him at all.
How are things with you? How much longer will you be gone? How can I visit you? I would absolutely love to.
Lots of love,
Sage Rowena'

He wrote back a brief response, saying he was thrilled to meet his future son or daughter, and that he would love to have you visit but he was still working out how. He said that he loved you very much, and wished he could be with you.

You smiled while reading his letter, sitting on the sofa in the living room.

"What's that?" Asked Mike, your older brother, from across the room.

"Just a letter."

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, I can see that. Who's it from?"

"Someone special."

And with that, he could tell the conversation was closed.

---

You were sitting at the (rarely used) dinner table with your father and older brother.

"Hey, could you pass me the ketchup?" Asked Mike.

You leaned to hand it to him, and he briefly saw your arm, along with the hundreds of scars on it. He looked up at you for a minute, frowning slightly, then went back to putting ketchup on his burger.

"...Thanks."

As your dad stood up to get dessert, Mike followed him.

"Dad."

"Yeah?"

He lowered his voice. "What's wrong with Sage?"

"How do you mean?"

"Why does my baby sister have scars all over her arms?"

Tony sighed. "She's- she WAS cutting. She's past it now. I hope."

"Why would she have been cutting?"

"She was depressed. She felt like she didn't get enough attention. I don't know! But she's moved on."

"I don't think you're taking care of-"

Just then, you walked in.

"What's taking you both so long?" You noticed the way they were looking at each other. "Am I interrupting something?"

"No. Not at all." Tony was looking daggers at Mike. "Talk to me about this later," he said quietly.